Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
SirRage
    Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Seems like every review of this machine was done by someone who has a channel sponsor of Miller, or was wearing a miller jacket. So it's hard for me to get a sense of how good this machine is when everyone reviewing it has some brand loyalty. That's one of the things I like about this place is that I don't see that and an openness to try new things.

The Dynasty 210 DX is on sale for a few months and you can get $200 off the sticker price, plus an extra 200-400 off depending on the accessories you buy. But that said you are still in the hole at least $3500-4000 when you factor in you will need a regulator, torch, and a foot peddle. These are things that normally come bundled with a unit, but not the case here.

Right now I'm welding 22 gauge and 16 gauge carbon steel. I imagine most welders will be able to do that pretty well. Stainless and aluminum are things I'd like to start working with but haven't yet. Ultimately I want versatility and portability, but I get the feeling this machine is overpriced for what it has to offer when compared to the number of high-quality machines out there. Like the HTP Invertig 221, which would be about $1000 less when compared to a Dynasty with a regulator, torch and peddle.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You're absolutely right on all accounts.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

You can't take the HTP to any local service center. While is a good machine USAWELD is the only source for parts and services. Also compare the AC pulse. HtP maxed at 10pps I think. I believe the dynasty allows high speed AC pulse. You are paying for a nationwide dealer and repair network.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Yup, it's one of the only downsides, with regards to repairs. But one also has to consider that failure rates of any kind are so low, you can't find even one documented occurrence online. Of course that does not mean that there aren't any failures, I'm sure there are---nothing is perfect.
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

I would post a review of mine but it's the only TIG I've ever used so my opinion is next to useless. For what you are looking to do, you will probably be fine with nearly anything. I can tell you that it works flawlessly in every application, it will light up on coke cans, razor blades etc without issue. Another thing that you pay for with it is not just the features but the range. AC frequency from 20 to 400hz (and it DOES make a difference, when you try beads side by side it's clear as day), 50-99% AC balance, 0.1-500 pps pulse. With the expansion card you can control the EN/EP independently.

EDIT: looking at the HTP specs, looks like feature wise it's pretty close. One major difference I can see is in the duty cycle, the Dynasty being 210 @60% and the HTP being 165 @60%. The wireless pedal is the bee's knees btw. Maybe not needed for all applications but doing the rollcage in my car, and other things where I had to jam it under my elbow or knee, I wanted to kiss it.

I just taught myself to TIG weld on this machine since December, I'm still a newb by the standards on this board and the machine lets me do things like this pretty easily
razorblade2.jpg
razorblade2.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Last edited by BigD on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

SirRage wrote:Seems like every review of this machine was done by someone who has a channel sponsor of Miller, or was wearing a miller jacket.
I just finished a year long welding class at the local community college and one of the machines they had was a Dynasty 200, the older version of the 210. I used it a lot and I loved it, it would be my first choice for a home machine if I could afford it. I ended up getting a Lincoln Squarewave 200. It was only $1399 and the local place gave me a free argon bottle because I was a student. It does all the things you're asking for, but in all cases lacks some of the more sophisticated controls that the Dynasty would have. For example it has pulse, but you can't control %on or background. The postflow is set to 15 sec, something I really don't care for because Argon isn't cheap. And it doesn't give you as much control over AC characteristics. But it will weld anything and at that price it's pretty hard to beat. I looked at several of the imported machines, like the Invertig. They look like great machines, and have far more features for the price. But I didn't feel comfortable spending that much money on something I might have to pay shipping on both directions to get fixed.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

No sponsorship here, everything is paid from my pocket for WHAT WORKS. It's a Dynasty and you get what you pay for. I've welded with LOTS of other machines, from old reliable huge transformer machines, to new high tech wizardry. Hands down, there is none better than the Dynasty, but you have to pay for it, and you can get it serviced and parts everywhere. There are things I can do with Dynasty machines I could never have done before (even with other comparable competitor machines that were red, yellow or maroon, the maroon ones were the closest competitor). In fact I have some aluminum molds right now to repair that there is NO WAY I would even attempt to repair without a Dynasty.

As you can see I do have mostly blue stuff, although only the plasma is blue because it was basically free, otherwise it would be a Hypertherm. As far as the big mig machine, I would be hard pressed to pick between a Miller 350P or a Lincoln MP350 if prices were the same, with same guns, but again I got the Miller CHEAP, so blue won again.
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I will be able to do so soon. Just finishing the shopping list with my LWS. I am not a Miller (post ITW) fan.
I would rather get the Lincoln Aspect 375, but the amp draw is too high for the circuit I have available and the 200 square wave is too basic for what I want.
This will be replacing my 5yr old Longevity 200dx.

-Jon
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
fredygump
    Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

I used the Dynasty 200 DX machines in school and now at work. That's what I'll buy...but I'll probably jump to the 280dx for water cooling and more grunt. I'll buy it for features, user interface, my familiarity with the machine, reliability, local support, etc. Work has 15+ Dynasty and Maxstar machiens of various ages, and they get used daily. I've never seen one go down.

I've been looking at the dynasty 210 dx. At first I thought it was marketing BS to call it the "210". But I was surprised to see the the duty cycle is dramatically increased over the older machine. If memory serves, the 210 does 60% duty cycle @210A, whereas the old 200 dx was only 20% @200A. That was my takeaway from the specs, but now I don't remember exactly if there was a difference in duty cycle based on input voltage, between 120v and 240v...I don't think input voltage made a difference on duty cycle.

The Dynasty is probably excessive for a hobbyist or occasional use. But I think the Dynasty is good value to a person who relies on it to make a living.

fredygump wrote:I used the Dynasty 200 DX machines in school and now at work. That's what I'll buy...but I'll probably jump to the 280dx for water cooling and more grunt. I'll buy it for features, user interface, my familiarity with the machine, reliability, local support, etc. Work has 15+ Dynasty and Maxstar machiens of various ages, and they get used daily. I've never seen one go down.

I've been looking at the dynasty 210 dx. At first I thought it was marketing BS to call it the "210". But I was surprised to see the the duty cycle is dramatically increased over the older machine. If memory serves, the 210 does 60% duty cycle @210A, whereas the old 200 dx was only 20% @200A. That was my takeaway from the specs, but now I don't remember exactly if there was a difference in duty cycle based on input voltage, between 120v and 240v...I don't think input voltage made a difference on duty cycle.

The Dynasty is probably excessive for a hobbyist or occasional use. But I think the Dynasty is good value to a person who relies on it to make a living.
You're right about the duty cycle. On Miller's I've seen the duty cycle only be amperage dependent (for a particular process), up to the limit of the input voltage.

As for excessive for hobby use, nonsense! I hope to one day own a 280dx for hobbyist use! :lol:

fredygump wrote:
Oscar wrote:As for excessive for hobby use, nonsense! I hope to one day own a 280dx for hobbyist use! :lol:
Need/want pretty much the same thing. Or at least I wasn't able to tell the difference. :D
Last edited by maker of things on Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Everlast just released the PowerPro 256Si (TIG/ Stick / Plasma) which is the upgrade to the 256s. I've got this with the water cooler and they really hooked me up. Even gave me a #17 torch so I don't need the water cooler although I'm strictly using the #18 water cooled, just cuz. A bungee cord suspending the cable rather than my lap, neck, armpit, or shoulder has helped out tremendously.
My total bill with 256Si, water cooler, and shipping was $2200. They also threw in some more extras due to some other circumstances. Being new to all this, I am very pleased with Everlast and they've done nothing but try to make this the best experience. Who cares about that though? It's whether the machine can do the job.... It's a brand new setup with digital replacing some of the analog components but it's really a 250EX or 256S setup with some newer fancier (lighter) features.
So far with my experience, I'm confident this unit will be able to do anything and everything I will ever want to do when it comes to metal beyond a grinder/dremel. I've got stick for the heavy projects that I want done fast and don't care about the beauty of TIG, and I've got TIG for any metal other than steel that can handle almost any reasonable thickness (I'm not a building structural welder or architect) and then I've got my plasma because that's gonna be fun and save me a lot of time and money on my Dremel discs. Got a band saw too but ehhh, the plasma will still be way more fun (when I don't have 2nd degree burns all over my feet preventing me from wearing boots) :D The duty cycle of this unit was very important to me too. I wanted to make sure I could have a decently high Amperage with 100% duty cycle vs. say 60% which translates to 6 minutes total run time before you have to stop. Depending on the job, that could really screw you. I could have bought the 205Si instead, but the lower duty cycle I believe would limit me one day.... Even learning, you're probably spending more time with the unit on under the hood hitting those duty cycles than you would doing real work because you're constantly screwing up and taking way longer than you should. I'm out there for at least an hour with about 20-30 minutes on time at least so I'd almost be hitting that duty cycle just learning... This unit also goes down to 5Amps which is about as good as you can get for the price range. I think you start stepping up to around $3000 at the cheapest for any lower than 5Amps and well, I wanted to weld some beer cans one day ;)

Below I've posted the specs for the 256Si. I come from over 25 years of computer experience, 20 years of mechanic experience, and 30 years of breakin/fixin shit. What I've learned through all this is when it comes to tools and components it's usually best to get more than what you think you'll need especially if you're getting it for a passion, but even more so if you're getting it for a career.
It always sucks when you spend a few grand on a tool and then 2 years down the road once you finally learned it, you find out you need to up-size. Usually when that happens you would have only had to spend just a bit more but you tried to be economical and now 2 years later you're kickin yourself for not spending that extra $200 to open all those other doors you will never cross with your current setup. Especially since now you have to not only get another piece of equipment, but another piece of equipment that's just that $200 extra so now you're double deep in the hole with even less garage space....

IGBT Inverter Type:
IGBT
Voltage/phase:
220/240 V 1 Phase
TIG output type:
AC/DC
TIG Start Type:
High Frequency Only
Pulse:
Yes, Adjustable
Plasma Cutter Arc Start Type:
Blow Back (Piston type)
PilotArc:
Yes
OK-to-Cut Indicator/Low Air pressure safety:
Yes
AC Frequency:
20-250 Hz
AC Balance (cleaning):
10-90%
OCV:
85V
Max Inrush ( I1MAX ) Amps:
40A
Maximum Rated (I1EFF ) Input Amps:
32A
TIG Output Amps/Volts @ Rated Duty Cycle:
250A/20V @ 60% Duty Cycle
200A/18V @ 100% Duty Cycle
Stick Output Amps/Volts @ Rated Duty Cycle:
200A/28V @ 35% Duty Cycle
160A/26.4V @ 60% Duty Cycle
130A/25.2V @ 100% Duty Cycle
Plasma Output Amps/Volts @ Rated Duty Cycle:
60A/104V @ 35% Duty Cycle
50A/100V @ 60% Duty Cycle
40A/96V @ 100% Duty Cycle
TIG AC Amp/Volt Range:
20A-250A; 10.8V-20V
TIG DC Amp/Volt Range:
5A-250A; 10.2V-20V
Stick Amp/Volt Range:
5A-200A; 20.2V-28V
Plasma Amp/Volt Range:
20A-60A; 88V-104V
Start Amps:
DC: 5-250A
AC: 20-250A
End Amps:
DC: 5-250A
AC: 20-250A
Down Slope Time:
0-25 Seconds
Up Slope Time:
0-10 Seconds
Preflow time:
0-10 Seconds
Post Flow Time:
0-25 Seconds
OverCurrent Protection:
Yes
Duty Cycle Protection:
Yes
Air Pressure OK Safety Indicator:
Yes
TIG Pulse Frequency:
.5-250Hz
TIG Pulse Time On:
10-90%
TIG Pulse Amp Range:
5-95%
Stick Arc Force Control:
Yes, 10-100%
Torch Type:
PT/iPT 60
Recommended Cutting Air Pressure:
75 PSI
Recommended Compressor Capacity:
6 CFM @ 90 PSI, 20 Gallon
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)

entity-unknown wrote: The duty cycle of this unit was very important to me too. I wanted to make sure I could have a decently high Amperage with 100% duty cycle vs. say 60% which translates to 6 minutes total run time before you have to stop. Depending on the job, that could really screw you.
Every machine has 100% duty cycle...the question is at what amperage. I'm not trying to be an ass, I know what you're talking about.

Over many years of fabrication and welding I don't recall ever running up against the duty cycle limit, however I typically wasn't employed in a shop where all I did was just weld.

Consider posting a review of your new machine in the Product Review forum, others looking to buy may benefit
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:Consider posting a review of your new machine in the Product Review forum, others looking to buy may benefit
And not a carppy one like I did. :shock:
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I think that was directed at me ;)
Once I have a worthy opinion I will post a review in the equipment section. That's also why I posted the specs at least for something worthwhile of reading vs. some jerk off n00b on the net like me :) I also figured it was worth saying something against Reds/Blues since for the n00b thus far before I can really say anything review worthy, this machine has been solid for me. Once I lay some consistent beads, the review will come I promise! I've got the Optrel e684 to still drop a review there for too but highly impressed thus far.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I got the Dynasty 210dx in march or april. It was 5200 for the complete package while they were doing the free upgrade to wireless foot pedal deal. I got it from indiana oxygen company with free freight. My complaints are that the fan on demand just runs almost all the time even when the machine is cold, I wish it would have come with the MVP plug, and I thought i was getting the EN/EP adjustment included. Hopefully the fan programing will be fixed in an update.

I've been trying to get a job at Miller so I didn't want anything else to be in my garage.

I spent a week with the aspect 375 at the Lincoln school. It's a better value if you have 3-phase and don't care about 120v capability. As for what is better, all I can say is that Weldcraft is definitely better than Magnum.

If welding is a hobby and you love doing it then justify your purchase that way. Don't try to figure out whether your going to do 5k worth of work with it. You could spend the same money on golf and radio control helicopters and never expect to get you moneys worth.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc

I got mine the last week in July. My fan on demand works as it should. Fan doesn't come on until after I have been welding and usually shuts off pretty quickly If I don't use the machine for 30 seconds, the whole thing goes quiet. The CPS cooler on demand was a very worthwhile upgrade to me.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Do you have the 301153R software.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc

Checked, Yes, mine is at the R revision.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I thought I had made a mistake with so much $ on one machine. I love mine- and can say it has helped me to be a better welder. As for the AC side of it is awesome.... its almost like it wants to weld. A lot left for me to explore yet on it though. :D
Attachments
.040" molly aircraft pulley brackets
.040" molly aircraft pulley brackets
1128151816.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

Just got my 210dx, haven't even welded yet however I noticed when I turn the power off the machine fan goes into high speed for several seconds after the power switch is off. I'm guessing this is normal?
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Almost every Miller I've run does that. Even if you unplug it with out shutting it off first they do it. I think it may be the way they drain power from all circuits. But that's just a guess.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

My machine does that too.