mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Mike25
    Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am

IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG (41.07 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
I am new to MIG welding, and just bought the ESAB EMP 215ic multiprocessor, which came with a Victor regulator.. Everything I read thus far states the CFH for MIG is between 12 - 15 CFH. The Victor regulator that came with the ESAB welder uses color coded CFH ranges for both MIG and TIG. It shows 10 - 28 CFH for TIG and 30 - 42 CFH for MIG. Why is the MIG CFH higher than what others say is the correct MIG CFH range? I'm trying to figure this out. Thanks 
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I run between 25-35CFH for MIG.
I run as high as 25CFH for TIG with a #12 cup.

Ignore the colors, go by what your experience dictates works in any given condition. Every machine welds differently. Every climate has nuances of effect on material temps, CFH needs, amperage, etc.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The picture of your gauge is a Borden tube gauge. It more or less uses pressure to give you a flow reading. You may want to invest in an actual flow meter with a ball to hold over the nozzle in your mig gun. it’s not uncommon for a gauge like that to not be calibrated. So the scale on the gauge may be anywhere from 5 to 10 cfh off.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Use this as Josh suggested, hold over the MIG nozzel to check the flow rate

Shield Gas Flow Tester for TIG, MIG, Plasma Torches

Or a dedicated flow meter, I use the HTP dual flow meter(not shown) for TIG and purging capabilities

HTP Argon CO2 Mig Tig Flow meter Regulator Welding Weld Flowmeter
E-Bay's #1 Sellling flowmeter over 8600 sold!
Richard
Website
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I'm new to this MIG thing, too. Why wouldn't you just swap to a flowmeter and know all the time what's happening?
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LanceR wrote:I'm new to this MIG thing, too. Why wouldn't you just swap to a flowmeter and know all the time what's happening?
I'd wager that 90% of all people who weld for a hobby, couldn't weld the difference of 5CFH of any shielding gas. In fact, I bet many full time welders can't tell the difference either until they get years of actual experience.

Now, if you are welding to a WPS, the CFH might very well be specified and then it is critical you use a correct, verifiable flow rate. But in the garage, poppy-cock! Use more than you think, and use less when the turbulence is outrageous.

My opinion. :|
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I know better, but I just use the gauge regulator set that came with my Lincon 210 mp. I use it only for mig. I just disregard what the gauge says and crank it to wherever I don’t have issues.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as gas is not cheap here, i tend to use the bare minimum i can get away with.
tho i found recently it can weld better at lower gas flows.
tweak it until it breaks
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

cj737 wrote:
LanceR wrote:I'm new to this MIG thing, too. Why wouldn't you just swap to a flowmeter and know all the time what's happening?
I'd wager that 90% of all people who weld for a hobby, couldn't weld the difference of 5CFH of any shielding gas. In fact, I bet many full time welders can't tell the difference either until they get years of actual experience.

Now, if you are welding to a WPS, the CFH might very well be specified and then it is critical you use a correct, verifiable flow rate. But in the garage, poppy-cock! Use more than you think, and use less when the turbulence is outrageous.

My opinion. :|
Even in the laser welder I used to use, could never tell the difference between +/- 5 chf. We just set it until the flow sounded right and worked away, and this thing has very "precise" requirements.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I personally have read information until I am red in the face. The reading gives me an idea and then I get to on job training (myself) for the hands on experience. I have also found that people at the supply store are basically "employees" are can sell whatever you are looking for. For the most part, anyway.
Get involved in here and you will get more help from experienced folks who have walked the walk and can talk the talk.