mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Bellaireroad
    Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 am

First off, all these are done at a bench, sitting.

If I am welding lap joint or fillet weld, I can see the puddle great, can even see it freeze behind, and can see where I’m going . I drag these.

If I’m practicing doing padding beads on plate horizontally, dragging, I’m having problems, can still see puddle, and can see the toe of the last bead, but hard to see as much detail as before, not seeing puddle freeze, I and hard to see ahead

Also welding outside corners downhill is a crapshoot. I can get by doing a couple of practice drags, then use “ muscle memory” to finish it.

So it seems when welding into an angle, like a butt or fillet, I can see great, but on flat or outside corner, it’s hard to see. Is this just the way it is, or is a change in head position needed?

Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Regardless of the process you use, always move your head and eyes to have the best possible (and safest) vantage point. You may need to be closer, lower, behind on a drag, or ahead with a push. Downhill, I always try to be below the puddle. Above uphill.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

cj737 wrote:Regardless of the process you use, always move your head and eyes to have the best possible (and safest) vantage point. You may need to be closer, lower, behind on a drag, or ahead with a push. Downhill, I always try to be below the puddle. Above uphill.
Boy that's the truth! I caught my self moving my eyes instead of my head and found I my right eye (dominate) was looking through my left lens of my glasses. No wonder I'm always dipping my tungsten. It's fun getting old.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Btw... You should see how I drive..... :lol:
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tungstendipper wrote:Btw... You should see how I drive..... :lol:
That’s why I stay off the sidewalks :D :D