mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rallen
    Sat May 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Fairly new to the welding world. Recently purchased a SquareWave 200 with plans of doing work on aluminum in the coming years. Long story short, despite how much I have learned and enjoyed my TIG machine, from a fabricating standpoint, I'm finding that TIG tends to be significantly slower (no kidding...) and more cumbersome having no free hands. That being said, I really like the machine and have no intension of selling.

So, I'm looking at a dedicated MIG machine. I'm not a die hard anything and have no issue having mixed equipment in my shop. I'm looking at a Lincoln Power MIG 210 or a Millermatic 220, but am having a tough time deciding between the two, if those are in fact the best comparisons for a quality hobbies machine that can do some thicker work.

Would greatly appreciate peoples thoughts and/or other suggestions.

Cheers,

Rallen
Last edited by rallen on Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rallen, welcome to the forum

Miller has a Multimatic 220 which is a multi process machine, when you wrote you wanted a dedicated MIG, to me that's not a muti process unit

Same with the PowerMIG 210, it's multi process

For a little less then the Multimatic 220 you could buy a Miller 252 which is a proven machine, I'm not familiar with Lincoln's offerings in this $$ range
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Agreed. If you don't need a stick welder, mig welder and scratch start tig in one package then the 252 and other similar machines are the way to go. The best bit of these 3 in 1 machines is the portable nature.
rallen
    Sat May 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that both of you. I had not looked at the 252 before but after reading a bit more about it, it seems like a darn good unit. Seems like the kind of unit that will out-last me and my skill level, but that's never a bad thing.

Cheers!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The 220 is a multiprocess machine, but it also has HQ start, not just lift arc. It also can weld up to 220 amps, not just 200. If anything, it can certainly replace your SW. That said, the MillerMatic 252 is a very good MIG box. I have the older MM200 and it welds great on all processes, but not ally TIG, I have a Dynasty for that.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Not a problem. Have fun
    Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 pm

IOC carries the Miller 252 and the Lincoln 256.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... gLBn_D_BwE

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... age-907321

I bought the Lincoln 256 3 years ago and it has been everything I could have asked for.
cdxtrooper
    Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 pm

I have experience with both the Lincoln 256 and the miller 252. I went to a store to actually purchase a miller 252... then I saw the miller 255... it is new, does everything the 252 does, and more. It has Pulse mig, can weld both thinner gage and thicker metal than the 252, has a great auto mode.... and weighs half as much as the 252. My first weld out of the box was fantastic.! It was about $250 more, but well worth it. Much beefier mig gun as well. I strongly recommend a close look at the “ Miller Blue “255.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Take a look at the HTP ProPulse 200.

Feature packed and a very versatile MIG welder. If it did stick as well it would be even better, but it's strictly a feature-rich MIG with DC TIG capability. But my HTP ProPulse 300 does stick, and I have two more stick welders, so it's ok for me. :)
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

cj737 wrote:The 220 is a multiprocess machine, but it also has HQ start, not just lift arc. It also can weld up to 220 amps, not just 200. If anything, it can certainly replace your SW. That said, the MillerMatic 252 is a very good MIG box. I have the older MM200 and it welds great on all processes, but not ally TIG, I have a Dynasty for that.
I considering a Multimatic 220 or the ESAB Rebel 205ic, but it's a difficult decision. :?
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots