mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Simclardy wrote: So the splice plate was bigger than i wanted. 1/2" and the web is 3/8". I did not want to weld out to the edge because i thought it a waste of time and i would be adding more heat than necessary. I understand i am not getting the full strength of the 1/2" but is there another reason that i am overlooking?

The ugly weld is the back side of the 6010 root pass. I used 1/8" rod at 77 amps.

What are your settings and rod of choice?
The hot pass i ran 88 amps, and the 7018 1/8 i ran 125-130 for fill and cap.

On the 5/32 rod i ran 172amps for the splice plate.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
thicker stiffener plate, thats explains it. can't see how thick it is in the pics. so thats absolutely fine no need to weld it more.
thats the trouble seeing on a pc rather than in real life.

the 1/8 6011 i have here about 70 amps (by mem). do a fairly open bevel with a tight 3/64 ″ gap with a very fast downhill.
or a 7016 very slow uphill, by god its like pushing sludge.
tho if i bevel both sides, butt them together hard then no open root to worry about.
tweak it until it breaks
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

tweake wrote: tho if i bevel both sides, butt them together hard then no open root to worry about.
Sorry one more question. Do you just run 7018 on this double bevel?

Thanks

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looks good from here! Lots of work! :)
Simclardy

Oscar wrote:Looks good from here! Lots of work! :)
Thanks. Next up is to try the dual shield! Excel arc71
I also bought the flex core e71t-11 which is not impact rated.
ImageImage

Simclardy

Unfortunately i have to wait for my hand to heal. I was welding a good part of the day yesterday and then i decided to help the wife and kids with the apple sauce canning project and i accidentally splashed scalding water on my hand! Lol.
Pure hubris to think i could help in the kitchen!

Well that sucks, lol. Just when you received new toys to play with! :lol:
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Simclardy wrote: Pure hubris to think i could help in the kitchen!
Your only mistake was to think you could do it without the proper PPE.. Dangerous area that.. Fire, hot liquids and solids, freezing parts, sharp tools, etc. etc..

Next time make sure to wear your welding gloves, safety glasses and steel-toed boots before going back in and you'll be fine! ;)

Bye, Arno.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I was helping my wife prepare taters. Cut my fingers,,,she said only ONE COOK in this kitchen. I was in the shop welding a table together, wife came out said I was doing it all wrong. I said only ONE welder in this shop. She said "Yeah?? WHEN is he going to get here?" :shock:
Simclardy

Arno wrote:
Simclardy wrote: Pure hubris to think i could help in the kitchen!
Your only mistake was to think you could do it without the proper PPE.. Dangerous area that.. Fire, hot liquids and solids, freezing parts, sharp tools, etc. etc..

Next time make sure to wear your welding gloves, safety glasses and steel-toed boots before going back in and you'll be fine! ;)

Bye, Arno.
[emoji23][emoji23]

Simclardy

BillE.Dee wrote:I was helping my wife prepare taters. Cut my fingers,,,she said only ONE COOK in this kitchen. I was in the shop welding a table together, wife came out said I was doing it all wrong. I said only ONE welder in this shop. She said "Yeah?? WHEN is he going to get here?" :shock:
Lol sound like my wife. A bit quicker with the wit.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Can't judge the welds or the stiffener plate design due to lack of knowledge.

Would like to comment on the fact the welded beam looks very clean and straight just judging from the photos. If you end up burning another plate on the opposite side or not the project gets a thumbs up for looking clean.

Will be interesting to hear your review of that gas shielded flux core when you recover from the domestic injury :lol:
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
Simclardy

Radishfever wrote:Can't judge the welds or the stiffener plate design due to lack of knowledge.

Would like to comment on the fact the welded beam looks very clean and straight just judging from the photos. If you end up burning another plate on the opposite side or not the project gets a thumbs up for looking clean.

Will be interesting to hear your review of that gas shielded flux core when you recover from the domestic injury [emoji38]
Thanks.
My hand is all better, just a few scabs to clear up before swapping my wedding band back.
I was feeling under the gun so i stick welded the second beam. I will test the wire at some point. My basement project could not wait. So for now stick is in the lead for 1 main reasons. Availability.
Cheers

Some second beam pics.
Everything the same except i did not grind the open root pass on the back side.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pretty cool!

That looks like money from here. Looks straight enough, the welds looked good and the photos are really good also.

Be interesting to hear what comments come from people who do this kind of heavy welds everyday. It's fascinating to see the level of thought and skill that goes into doing this kind of welding.

Hope the hand heals up back to normal soon.
Simclardy

Radishfever wrote:That looks like money from here. Looks straight enough, the welds looked good and the photos are really good also.

Be interesting to hear what comments come from people who do this kind of heavy welds everyday. It's fascinating to see the level of thought and skill that goes into doing this kind of welding.

Hope the hand heals up back to normal soon.
I had no idea how much work structural welding involves. I think the second beam took 8-10hr. I am sure it could be done faster but i was burning rod after rod.
I think the cut, bevel, and grind was 3hr.
Much respect to all the iron workers!

Simclardy

Welded beam in place! Weld is still holding!ImageImageImage

No Doubt, there are some pictures on the internet of guys welding beams like that while hanging from harnesses from tall buildings. Got to wonder exactly how easy it is just to get comfortable.
Simclardy

I finally got to try the excel arc 71 at 0.035 diameter. I used 100 co2 gas at 35ish cfh. I used the recommended settings by hobart but shot the gap. So 24.5 volts and 477wfs. 1/2 stickout.
I have to say it works well. Much faster than stick. I was getting worm tracking or gas inclusion at first until i set up my polarity properly EP. It does not deal with rust or crud to well.
ImageImage

Simclardy wrote:I finally got to try the excel arc 71 at 0.035 diameter. I used 100 co2 gas at 35ish cfh. I used the recommended settings by hobart but shot the gap. So 24.5 volts and 477wfs. 1/2 stickout.
I have to say it works well. Much faster than stick. I was getting worm tracking or gas inclusion at first until i set up my polarity properly EP. It does not deal with rust or crud to well.
ImageImage

Fast and hot, eh? Did ya smoke any of your gloves yet? The back-side of your guide-hand glove can get toasty if it's too close and you're running hot settings.
Simclardy

Not too bad. I was putting some tacks with Jersey gloves and got a nice little burn spot on the back of my gun hand from spatter. Dope!
Question. If you are getting excessive spatter is that usually caused by too much heat? I did manage to get the settings to work well but just want to be able to adjust on the fly better.

Simclardy wrote:Not too bad. I was putting some tacks with Jersey gloves and got a nice little burn spot on the back of my gun hand from spatter. Dope!
Question. If you are getting excessive spatter is that usually caused by too much heat? I did manage to get the settings to work well but just want to be able to adjust on the fly better.

If you use 100% CO2, you can dial it down to get minimum fine spatter, but it will never be as clean as if you used C25. The high argon content allows for a near perfect spray arc transfer, BUT the lower the CO2 concentration, the more susceptible it is to get worm tracks. Fast slag solidification definitely contributes to worm tracks from what ive seen.

Also, I get a lot less spatter when the wire is in it's optimum A/V range than when its lower.
Last edited by Oscar on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simclardy

Thanks.