mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

AlumSmoker-upright (2).jpg
AlumSmoker-upright (2).jpg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Hello all, long time since I've been here. This is my attempt at an all aluminum meat smoker (venison).
Using my Miller 252 mig spool gun using 4943 wire on 1/8" thick aluminum. Firebox on bottom for burning wood (Apple wood since I have a 70 fruit tree orchard). When some trees die off, I cut them up into small piece for the smoker. Currently have 2 large burlap sacks of dried fruit wood ready to use. If the wood/fire combination doesn't work, I'll add in an electric element. The firebox is removable and mostly sealed off from the upper meat chamber (except for a small opening to allow the smoke to go upward). 2 smoke stacks on top with removable pipes to seal them off or open them up. A flap on the side for air intake to the fire (hinged). Don't look too closely at the welds. I haven't welded in a long while so this is my attempt to get back into it. I had left over aluminum from previous projects so I wanted to do something with it, this is the result. Comments welcome.
Last edited by RPat on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Looks good but I am leery of using aluminum for any cooking purposes. I also wonder how well it will maintain cooking temperatures for you since aluminum is such a heat sink.
Multimatic 255
RPat

Good question on the heat, I will find out very soon. Regarding safely smoking in Aluminum. Very good question. I will need to research it. If it's not safe, I will chalk it up to lesson # 3,150,001. :D But all of it was scrap aluminum I had leftover for years from other projects and it was a good learning experience. Thanks for the reply.
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

RPat wrote: I will chalk it up to lesson # 3,150,001. :D .
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
RPat

Does anyone on this forum know if 1/8" aluminum sheet metal (if I remember correctly 5300 series aluminum?), is safe for smoking food? I've checked around and see different opinions on safety. Some say wipe it down to remove any surface coatings before smoking food, others are leary. On heat retention/dissipation, it hear pro/con opinions on it as well.
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Here is a generic article on aluminum health risks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... kware.html

Anodized is better than regular aluminum.
With most toxins it's all about dosage. So it's hard to say if your application will give you a dangerous level of aluminum.
If you where using it every day that would be different than using it for special functions.

I personally use ss pots and pans or cast iron.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
RPat

IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Thanks much for the reply. It appears that I may be ok to use this very rarely. I'm considering changing out the firebox from aluminum to steel to further reduce any omissions.
Attachments
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG (40.63 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG (36.82 KiB) Viewed 1213 times