mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
jamorgan3777
    Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Been building projects and the latest is a cart for the welder and gas bottle. I am using 1x2x0.065 square tube. I am finding that I am burning through the side wall and am looking for hints and tricks. I have tried cutting down the feed speed and voltage. Is it a matter of just adjusting with speed? I think I am welding too slow. Just wondering if there are tips. Especially for the outside of a miter joint. That seems to be the worst. Inside of a T or butt joint appears to be the best. I did notice that pushing seems better than pulling the bead.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

jamorgan3777 wrote:Been building projects and the latest is a cart for the welder and gas bottle. I am using 1x2x0.065 square tube. I am finding that I am burning through the side wall and am looking for hints and tricks. I have tried cutting down the feed speed and voltage. Is it a matter of just adjusting with speed? I think I am welding too slow. Just wondering if there are tips. Especially for the outside of a miter joint. That seems to be the worst. Inside of a T or butt joint appears to be the best. I did notice that pushing seems better than pulling the bead.
If you can add more detail it will help get a better reply. What welder? What wire type and size? If you're using shielding gas, what type? What voltage and wire speed combinations have you tried so far?
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I’m currently building a cart using .065 wall tubing.
I’m using .024 wire and C25.
Running 17 volts and 230 IPM wire speed. I get good penetration on test joints
I found these settings to work best for my situation and amateur abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Outside miter joints on square tube are the thinnest part of your welds. Best technique is to "tack, tack, tack" instead of trying to straight shot weld them. Especially if you are newer to welding.

Once you weld them, you can easily flap disk them to look beautiful. You won't get a finished weld frequently on those corners anyway without some dressing up afterwards.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

cj737 wrote:Outside miter joints on square tube are the thinnest part of your welds. Best technique is to "tack, tack, tack" instead of trying to straight shot weld them. Especially if you are newer to welding.

Once you weld them, you can easily flap disk them to look beautiful. You won't get a finished weld frequently on those corners anyway without some dressing up afterwards.
Indeed. I struggled with the corners on my cart base. I did exactly as CJ suggested. They turned out pretty good by my estimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
jamorgan3777
    Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm

thanks for the replies so far.

Here are more specifics.

HH190 using 0.030" wire and C25 shield gas
Not sure what my volts and speeds are as I havent measured them.
I tried 2 and 3 on the voltage setting and 35-40 on the wire feed.

I did make one good outside corner with the "tack tack tack" method.

I think the worst is the inside wall of a T joint on the cut edge side (as opposed to the top continuous side).
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you are burning through, you need less wire feed speed. WFS controls the amps or heat input. Voltage controls the size and shape of the bead. I usually knock the knife edges off of those outside corner joints so as to get to more substantial metal. Are you welding them vertical up, vertical down or something else. I would recommend vertical down, as you will have less chance of burning through.
Multimatic 255