mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
AGorby
    Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:41 am

Hey guys, I apologize ahead of time if this has been answered; I tried searching to no avail.
Anyways, I'm a junior in a vo-tech school and scheduled my 3G FCAW-G unlimited test.
Of course, I'm worried about this and that etc, so my question is; as a general WPS you might've seen, what's the rules for tack placement, length etc, and do they normally allow the 1/4" gap +- 1/16th? This test will be x-ray'd .
Also just as a personal question, do employers favor unlimited certs vs limited? I figured unlimited will give me a little extra to add to a resume, ya know?

Thanks for the help fellas,
Austin Gorby
    Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Honestly after being in the field for a few years I let my "certification" lapse.(which was a 4G 7018 unlimited thickness endorsement) 9 times out of 10, every company you apply to will require you to certify under their own criteria. Certified welder is a bullshit title just like "master welder."

I can be certified to spot weld angle onto sheet metal and call myself a certified welder. :D
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

AGorby wrote:Hey guys, I apologize ahead of time if this has been answered; I tried searching to no avail.
Anyways, I'm a junior in a vo-tech school and scheduled my 3G FCAW-G unlimited test.
Of course, I'm worried about this and that etc, so my question is; as a general WPS you might've seen, what's the rules for tack placement, length etc, and do they normally allow the 1/4" gap +- 1/16th? This test will be x-ray'd .
Also just as a personal question, do employers favor unlimited certs vs limited? I figured unlimited will give me a little extra to add to a resume, ya know?

Thanks for the help fellas,
Austin Gorby
=====

AGorby.

For an additional point of view, I saw this link:
http://www.gowelding.org/3G_FCAW_Weldin ... ation.html
My guess is that you will be welding it out with a procedure very similar to the one in the link.

I would only add to the link, that it is essential that you clean the backing plate and the two work pieces in the areas that will be welded, to remove mill scale, oil, grease etc., and that you do NOT allow any gaps between backing plate and your work pieces.

Maybe one of the others members with more knowledge of the video archives, may orient you towards one of the video that give instruction on this joint.

-----

For the Employer question, the comment of M.Fuxxer seems sound.
Each Employer is responsible for the shop welding, so each Employer will want to understand the capabilities of each Employee. One way to help do this is to have welders test.

Alexa
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've rarely taken FCAW tests, as I don't care for the process (It's an effective process; I just don't care to wear that much protection. ;) )

I'll answer the last question. The certifications will help you land an interview and test. Nothing more. Very few certifications carry from one job to another (ASME IX will), but every reputable employer will require you to take a qualification test on-site anyway.

The value of the certification is that it's evidence they aren't wasting time allowing you to test.

Once you have a resume' and reputation, carrying certs is not needed... I no longer apply for jobs. They call me.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Here are 2 videos, one from Lincoln and one from Jody, I KNOW THEY ARE NOT FOR FLUX COR, but the set up and general rules wouldnt be too far different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCS9t2CB ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC7PmksN ... ata_player

Hope they help, Mick
AGorby

Thanks for all the, well, tips and tricks! And links too.
Y'all correct on the certs-I have a good job lined up and they require certs to walk in, therefore I'm getting mine. To boot, their in house test is a 1" test, so I'll be ready to go when I walk in.
I'll include a pic of my last FCAW-G 3G plate, it was some 3/4" A36, went in pretty well for my first FCAW plate.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (218.48 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Agorby.

You learning how to airarc them too?

Alexa
AGorby

Absolutely, I love airarc- 2 hours with a grinder or 20 seconds in your leathers and you're back on track.