mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
probusmex
    Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:44 am

Well, after clear some doubts here in the forum, I've been practicing a little bit before going to do my job (or try, at least)
Wire speed and Volts as recomended for the manufacturer are in lowest position.
Two welding were made horizontal and with flux core.
About 30 minutes practicing. Never in my life weld before.

Comments, and tips accepted

subir fotos a internet
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You're a natural!

If that's after 30 minutes of practice, you're going to be GOOD at this.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Let me tell you, that"s some decent looking welds for thirty mins practice. I would suggest you going to your nearest welding shop etc etc, and ask about some scrap steel out of their dumpster and make a bunch of t-joints, and practice, practice, practice. I'd hate for you to see my first welds :lol: good luck, John

ps, I still have the pics of my first welds if anybody wants to see them :oops:
Last edited by AKweldshop on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

You got the hot glue figured out. Now work on your metal prepping.

Antorcha wrote:You got the hot glue figured out. Now work on your metal prepping.
I also noticed your metal had paint on it, with very little "grinding" prepping. If you had cleaned your metal up shiny bright it would weld a whole lot nicer, a good practice to get into. good luck John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:
Antorcha wrote:You got the hot glue figured out. Now work on your metal prepping.
I also noticed your metal had paint on it, with very little "grinding" prepping. If you had cleaned your metal up shiny bright it would weld a whole lot nicer, a good practice to get into. good luck John
I also would recommend, probusmex, that you get some scrap pieces of 1/4 and 14ga and practice your joint before you try and weld your "structural" member. good luck John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Such a good start. Well done.

Why is it a good start?

I like the way the weld beads are straight, with a consistent (fairly) convex surface and consistent width. You have a bit of colour in the steel: heat could be just right.

Straight speaks for itself: you have control of where you are putting the weld puddle. (Watch the puddle, watch the puddle, watch the puddle.)

Consistent convex weld surface: not too much filler deposited, and travel speed must be pretty right, and consistent.

Consistent width is also a good sign: you have control.

You might try to use a slightly more pronounced weave pattern: I expect that will help you with the appearance of the weld. It will also help widen the bead a little (just a little wider, would be better, I think).

Angles of gun must be pretty right.

I agree with others here: clean your metal. Also, do some longer welds where you take the time to look around during the welding process -- look at the smoke, the spray of sparks, the join ahead of the puddle -- all the while trying to keep the puddle in sight too, and thinking about the travel speed, the effectiveness of the weave pattern, etc. Once you have seen the whole circus around about your arc you will be better able to calmly keep the puddle just where you want it and cope with all the little things you hadn't expected.

Make some stuff. Think about why things worked well (or not so well), and get some feed back from experienced welders who can look at lots of your work and point out the good, the bad, and the "needs attention now".

There is a lot ahead of you, but you have jumped out of the gates well. Good on you.