mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Dozer17
    Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I own a miller 175 and want to upgrade to hopefully the "last mig welder I'll ever need". Went to Airgas store yesterday and looked at the Lincoln 256 and the miller 252. I"m a fan of miller and love my 175. However, the 252 felt very "cheap" next to the 256. The 256 weighed more, had an all metal front, the control knobs felt substantial with very smooth resistance. The gun looked and felt much more heavy duty than the miller. In addition, the wire drive was more robust with a substantial solid brass connection point for the gun. The miller had a plastic face and knobs the felt like they came out of a gum ball machine. Millers gun and connection point (aluminum) seamed inferior to the Lincoln. Is the arc on the miller "that much better" that I should disregard the Lincoln ?.....need your advice.

Thanks!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Dozer your money your choice, but welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I have been in your shoes before :)
From what your saying, seem's like a no brainer
Go for the Lincoln, I don't think the arc is the selling point, just as durable....
Go for the Lincoln, probably a better price too.
The Lincoln is better quality all the way around.
I think thats 3 cents
John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jake Matthew
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I own a Miller 252 and a 350P. Both of those machines are work horses. As good as they've been to me, I wouldn't even give the Lincoln a shot. I've also owned the older 251 model. It was as well a great machine. Not sure of all the options on the Lincoln but the 252 has pre/post flow control, burnback (which takes a little getting used to), timers for delay and spot/tack welding, etc... They also have a feature where if you are bouncing from gun to spool gun, that will recall the voltage/amp settings for each when you pull the trigger. Not that I really use that, but nice if you do. The 350P has a pulsed mig which I absolutely love, but those are some pricey machines. I can guarantee if you go with the 252 that you wont be disappointed. Never used a 256 but I have a feeling I'm not missing out on anything. Either way, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Miller/Lincoln Ford/Chevy :)

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

there is dyed in the wool Lincoln guys,
there is dyed in the wool Miller guys,
they are equal 2.5 cents
John :)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

I have used both and most of the versions before the 252 and 256. My shop where I worked before was all blue with a 212, a 250 and a 252 bought a few years apart. Never any real issues except that the settings on the door of the 250 were not even in the ball park.

Now in the shop where I work we have a mix of red and blue. The guns on the Lincolns are heavier duty and the contact tips last longer. You really can't go wrong with either machine for light industrial or home shop use.

With either, buy a good ground clamp and flow-meter and have at it.
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've used the same Lincoln and I love it I use it everyday building trailers and It always performs flawlessly go for the Lincoln
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/com ... ic_252.png
250 amps at 40% duty cycle. price $ 2800

http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/wp ... MIG256.jpg
250 amps at 40 % duty cycle. price $ 3000

http://www.millerwelds.com/about/news_r ... 00_000.jpg
price$800+-

http://img3.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/2376/ ... Cooled.jpg
price$800 +-

Almost Equal :D Good Luck John

ps. the Lincolns is $200 more, but your paying for better quality 8-) 8-)
Last edited by AKweldshop on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Just recently, there was a reconditioned Lincoln PowerMig 256 for sale at my local welding store for $2200 bucks
So, keep your eyes open for a used or reconditioned welder.
2.5 cents :)
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
poptm
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 pm

They are both fine machines. Pick the color you like best, unless there are other attributes about one or the other you like better (besides the color).
Dozer17
    Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for all the replies. There is no question that the Lincoln 256 is a much higher quality unit side by side next to the miller 252 regarding the drive and external features. However, this may not have been the case in previous models/years, but it is now....today. I cant speak to the guts of these units, but i'll assume that because the Lincoln is heavier by 15 pounds that it has something to do with more substantial components. Regardless, I do believe in general that they both will perform and last for years to come.....I guess i'll go red this time :-)

You Can't Beat "Red" Quality ;)

"Red" is NEVER looked down upon...

Nice Job 8-)

John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

We could go back and forth, "red / blue"
Nobody would "win"

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:We could go back and forth, "red / blue"
Nobody would "win"

There's died in the wool Everybody, for Everything.

We can't all win

1 cent ;)

John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm a Miller fan for some things and a Lincoln fan for others. Personally, I believe Lincoln makes better wire feeders. I once used a Lincoln PowerMig 250 with only a single set of feed rolls and it would feed wire even when I had the hose twisted into a figure 8. In comparison, Miller 20 series wire feeders can barely push wire when the hose is perfectly straight, let alone bent in any way. Probably used 30 of the 20 series feeders... new ones, old ones, ones I had rebuilt and set everything according to the book specs. Millers single roller feeders don't feed worth a crap. However, their double roller feeders are great and I've almost never had a problem with them. Just my 2 cents.

One thing I've noticed with Lincoln Migs, is there guns are heavy duty, same with there front panels
From what Dozer was saying, side by side the Lincoln was built a little "sturdier"

Dozer made the "Right" choice.... :|

2 cents

John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

ESAB. :ugeek:
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Antorcha wrote:ESAB. :ugeek:
Never used any ESAB machines but I'd like to try one. I know their filler metals seem to be very high quality.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I'd go with the Lincoln. Currently, I own a Lincoln Power Mig 216. I LOVE it!!! It suits my needs with the stepped voltage settings. I also own a Miller 211 which I too "LOVE." The Lincoln cranks out more amps (which I never need) and a higher duty cycle (which doesn't concern me neither). But between the two you mentioned, I'd go with Lincoln. Yes, their arcs are in fact "smoother," than Miller's.

Just my opinion.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
nickwarner
    Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 pm

I used an ESAB Migmaster 275 for a few years in my own shop. Controls are a lot like the older Millermatic 250, but you can get optional digital modules too. Got it as a demo item at my local weld supply. I had never used anything but Lincoln or Miller before but I found that machine to be an absolute rockstar. I never could hit the duty cycle no matter what I was burning. Had a very smooth and predicatable arc and laid in very nice beads on everything from exhaust pipe to heavy plate. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for something comparable to the machines you have asked about. I would not hesitate to buy another one.