mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
DesignsByAndrew
    Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:34 pm

I just signed up here and the wealth of information here has been very helpful. I hope others can benefit from it also. I picked up a free welder a couple of weeks ago from a guy I know who owns a body shop. It's the astro power 110 mig with the awesome plastic parts that everyone talks about being broken. I was able to get a bar clamp to apply enough pressure to get the wire feed to work. The adjuster knob was broken when I got it and I didn't see the point in buying $70 worth of parts if it didn't work. I have been creating different projects and have sold 2 so far while battling the machine issues and problems I cause with my lack of knowledge.

Watching many videos and reading many articles has helped me figure it out so far. So I need to ask the experienced ones here if you can help point me in a direction of what welder would fit my needs best but still have enough capacity for occasional brackets that are thicker. I am building junk art which is taking old used engine part and whatever else is weldable to create say a turtle for example. Most of the work will be small spot welding like you would do for automotive body work. I am going to need the capacity also as I am into building various parts and brackets for my own car. I don't think I would be welding much over 1/4" and even at that would be thicker than what I would be using.

I need a welder that will allow me to weld thin metal all the way up to say 3/16. The longest weld I am finding might be about an inch long at best. I don't want to skimp on getting a machine that I will outgrow too quickly but I am also on a budget up to $500. I would really like to ultimately be tig welding but you don't win a race without practicing to get there first. I look at welding as being an endless opportunity to be involved in many different projects that can bring money in. I see some talking about inverter welders with combo ability. If I can only afford a mig welder at best for my budget, can you point me to one that will meet my needs and you can find parts later on? I appreciate feedback.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hobart Handler 140....
They can be bought for under $500 and will last for ever.
A Lincoln or Miller 135, all 115 volt migs of great quality

Just my 2 cents
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

For welding Art, I would choose an oxy/acetylene welder.
It can be used for forming metal, cutting, welding and brazing.
http://www.cutlikeplasma.com/video_library.htm
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Andrew, welcome to the forums.

For what you want to do, I would suggest any 110v mig welder from the big-3 (Lincoln, Miller & Hobart). Always avoid Harbot Fright welders.

If you have a 220v outlet in your garage, I would highly recommend the Lincoln 180C model. It's just what the Dr. ordered, but it's around $700 and I know you're on a budget of $500. So, the next choice would be the Lincoln 140C. It is 110v and has a continuous or "infinite" voltage setting which is what you want. At the big box stores, they sell their own models made by Lincoln, such as the 140T and some "125" models. All are inferior performers compared to the 140C, IMHO.

Miller has their "Millermatic 140" (110v) and their MM 180 (220v) machines, which are both excellent performers as well. Basically, between Lincoln and Miller, you're just choosing a paint job you like between red and blue.

For Hobart, they have the "Handler 140" (110v) and "Handler 190" (220v). The 140 only has five "stepped" voltage control settings, whereas the 190 has seven. (The more, the better). What that means is one is limited to the fine tuning adjustment to get that "sweet spot" welding arc. Many people don't mind the "stepped" settings, but once you've tasted the "continuous" advantage from Lincoln or Miller, you'll never want "stepped" controls again.

But again, if $500 is your absolute minimum, you might not have any other options but the Hobart. Hobart's work great and they are owned by the same company that owns Miller. (Iillinois Tool Works).

Avoid like the plague any of the manufactuer's machine models that are numbered "lower" than 135/140. i.e "Hobart 125", "Lincoln EZ125" etc.... All in the "100", "125" range are piss poor performers, that will only make you cry because you didn't buy one starting in the "140" class of welder.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Andrew.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Esab Caddy i200 or a Lincoln Powermig 180.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Tombstone wrote:Andrew, welcome to the forums.

For what you want to do, I would suggest any 110v mig welder from the big-3 (Lincoln, Miller & Hobart). Always avoid Harbot Fright welders.

If you have a 220v outlet in your garage, I would highly recommend the Lincoln 180C model. It's just what the Dr. ordered, but it's around $700 and I know you're on a budget of $500. So, the next choice would be the Lincoln 140C. It is 110v and has a continuous or "infinite" voltage setting which is what you want. At the big box stores, they sell their own models made by Lincoln, such as the 140T and some "125" models. All are inferior performers compared to the 140C, IMHO.

Miller has their "Millermatic 140" (110v) and their MM 180 (220v) machines, which are both excellent performers as well. Basically, between Lincoln and Miller, you're just choosing a paint job you like between red and blue.

For Hobart, they have the "Handler 140" (110v) and "Handler 190" (220v). The 140 only has five "stepped" voltage control settings, whereas the 190 has seven. (The more, the better). What that means is one is limited to the fine tuning adjustment to get that "sweet spot" welding arc. Many people don't mind the "stepped" settings, but once you've tasted the "continuous" advantage from Lincoln or Miller, you'll never want "stepped" controls again.

But again, if $500 is your absolute minimum, you might not have any other options but the Hobart. Hobart's work great and they are owned by the same company that owns Miller. (Iillinois Tool Works).

Avoid like the plague any of the manufactuer's machine models that are numbered "lower" than 135/140. i.e "Hobart 125", "Lincoln EZ125" etc.... All in the "100", "125" range are piss poor performers, that will only make you cry because you didn't buy one starting in the "140" class of welder.
Just to add on to this. I have a horseshoe art business and the shoes we weld range from 1/4" down and we are using a Hobart Handler 140 and love it. We got ours a year ago before they upgraded to 5 steps. The nice thing about this welder and migs in general is that inside the lid they incorporate a "rough" chart to get your settings close according to metal thickness and wire diameter. Again it is a rough ballpark number. My personal experience is there is no right universal setting for everyone. Welding is one of those skills that is solely personal preference and feel. I prefer to set my voltage high and wire speed high and adjust travel speed for variations in metal thickness and so on and so forth. My wife with the same machine will adjust it to the exact number the machine recommends. This is all personal preference and opinion. I love the machine personally, wish it was bigger now but all in all it is a good sturdy machine.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Miggin59
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Cheap is my middle name! But I'm saving money for a good used miller stick tig combo.Its a great 110 machine and it will last forever. I've used one when I was an apprentice local 100 . I just can't think of a better welder for the money!
CAS
DesignsByAndrew
    Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:34 pm

I didn't mean to fall off the grid for so long. I have been busy since I originally wrote the post and did purchase the Hobart Handler 140. I have put almost one whole 10lb spool of wire through it and must say it's a great welder. So much easier to go about getting your projects done instead of a couple hours trying different adjustments so you can weld for 2 minutes like the other welder. I have welded a few different thicknesses of plate steel just to see what the machine and I are capable of. The machine is a workhorse. I on the other hand need some more practice but I'm not using the eraser as much, grinder that is.

I got my taxes back and decided it's time to step up to solid wire with argon setup. I hope to pick up a bottle of argon mix tomorrow. Flux is ok but in the long run you spend lots of time with clean up. I am hoping that the solid wire set up is much cleaner and that I can produce better results. I hope to start moving some creations of mine to bring in cash. I have been building a couple of different projects to make work easier in my shop like a grinder/anvil and vice stand that I can change out between them. I welded together some 1/4" plate for the stand which is heavier than the recommended thickness for the machine and never had reached tripping the over temp light. It runs strong on throughout the settings and I don't think for the most part will outgrow this machine for a while. I will say that little improvements make your whole life much easier. Thank you for your help.

Andrew
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Andrew,
Glad to hear you like your new baby. Don't worry you will never stop using your eraser :D . Start a new topic in the welding projects section and lets see your art.