mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Miggin59
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Hey arc people
I'm new to this site And I'm in search of some methods for SS 10 gauge overhead mig so I can prepare for a test
Any help will be greatly appreciated . Miggin59
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome,

Farther down the main page, you'll find a topic group called "MIG and FluxCore..."

I'll copy your post there, where It'll be seen by more people. (You're presently posted in the forum's "instruction manual".)

Steve S
Miggin59

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome,

Farther down the main page, you'll find a topic group called "MIG and FluxCore..."

I'll copy your post there, where It'll be seen by more people. (You're presently posted in the forum's "instruction manual".)

Steve S
Thank you. Again I'm new at this
Miggin59

Thank you again I'm new at this
CAS

I find better results in overhead MIG, regardless of material, to "push" about 15-20*, and keep a fairly long stick-out to protect the nozzle and diffuser from drip-out. (The push angle makes drip-out happen ahead of the nozzle with a fair 5/8-3/4" stickout.) Additionally, I use about 10% higher wire-feed speed in overhead than for the same weld in other positions. In a pipe test, you don't have that option, of course, but in a plate test, you can set it the way you want it.

These two, combined, seem to keep me from building "icicles" and "grapes", hanging from the joint.

I far prefer Tri-mix gas for this, even with carbon steel, where it's not required. I'll use 75/25 in other positions, if changing is inconvenient, but the Tri-mix is a big help in controlling an overhead weld, in my opinion.

Steve S
Miggin59

Thanks for you're help. I've been using a miller matic 250 with tri mix90% helium7.5% argon2.5% c.d. Wfs40 volts 22.5 on full range and 308/L wire with 3/8" stick out 15% nozzle angle.I cannot get full pennatration and there's more than 1/8" weld which will not pass the cert. I will try the longer stick out and a little more amps. Won't be back at local 100 school til Monday
Thanks for the tips
CAS
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum miggin59.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Miggin59

What is the arc control dial used for on a millermatic 250?
CAS

Miggin59 wrote:What is the arc control dial used for on a millermatic 250?
CAS
I've not seen a knob with that label on a Millermatic.

The MM has lots of programmability, and in programming functions, the dials do things other than "volts" and "wire speed", though.

I have a MM252 at work... It's the same machine, but set up for 3-phase input. I've never needed to "program" a damn thing. It works fine "out of the box".

All the manuals, including the one for your specific machine (by model # !!) are available online.

Steve S
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Overhead stainless ? Lotsa heat and fast movement. No line drawing.Whip is fugly but more effective than patterns and will get you that penetration. Toy with the gas pressure too.Not too high when doing overhead.People always assume porosity is not enough gas. Of ten it's the opposite. Too much, causing turbulence especially overhead.BTW. My condolences. I don't miss that crap a lick.I like sitting at my bench wearing shorts, Croks and a long apron . Leather sleeve and glove. Left arm only :lol: