mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is a question I hope to get a lot of input on. I think this will make an interesting discussion.
Around my shop there has been debate for about a week now as to which MIG process is faster- Spray transfer or Pulse.
I have done a lot of research online and talked to others and now would like to see what you have to say.

My take is this- comparing amps to amps Spray has a faster overall travel speed while Pulse is the overall more efficient process. Let me explain. Spray does allow you to move faster but requires more wire and more electricity compared to the same setting in Pulse. Being that Pulse is "spray" my theory is that I can match and or beat the speed of spray with the proper adjustments. So being me I put this to the test and was able to get the Pulse to have a travel speed that rivaled Spray using .045 Lincoln L-59. Personally I like both processes so I am not biased to one where I would do what ever it takes to stay away from the other ( although I would rather use Pulse where applicable ).

Pulse, when done correctly, does offer many advantages such as little to no clean up, but I have found that properly set up Spray has little to no clean up as well. We use mostly pulse until we get into our thicker plates.

So what is your take on this? This is not meant to be a debate, just want to hear what you might think or prefer.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

http://welding-tv.com/2013/09/10/powerm ... g-project/

here's a good video on pulse.
If you got a Lincoln.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Spray can deposit more metal faster providing you can get everything in the flat or horizontal position.
I did miles of spray with 1/16" 80S and 100S wire. Many times 40-50 lbs a shift. Many times we'd destroy
a brand new pair of gloves in one night. Fingers all hard and shriveled up like a mummy's hands.
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

I would think that spray would be faster, then again I have never got the opportunity to work with pulse.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I've used a miller 350p but only for AL. I think at about 26.5 volts is where globular transfer turns in to spray transfer if i remember correctly. I may try playing with the 350p at work on some steel to see what i can come up with.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Frosty
    Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Spray on the flat is like drag racer! Pulse is the only way to go in out of position and is quite fast, but not like spray in the flat. 8-)
The plan is to out live everyone and take their tools!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is a dialogue that was interesting. It has some nonsense, but a lot of "meat" as well. Enjoy.
-Jonathan
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/In-Carbo ... .200305191