mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
KEJ76
    Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:42 am

Jody, I was wanting to purchase some 98/2 gas in a 125 bottle so I could do some spray arc. My local gas and welding supplier said that they only have 98/2 in a 300 bottle. I asked why and they said that they couldn't put 98/2 in a smaller bottle and they didn't elaborate as to why. Is there a reason as to why 98/2 can only be in a 300 bottle?

Enjoying the vids too. Keep them coming!!

Thanks, KJ
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No reason, other than they dont' want to handle "small batches" of gas they don't normally do.

90/10 will do spray-arc, too, if you have the machine for it. I've done it with 75/25 on a Lincoln CV305.

Steve S
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

90/10 will spray and short circuit so you can do both with the same gas. The transition current is just a little bit higher as opposed to 98/2.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

My guess is they don't sell enough of it to set up a mixer for it. Or they buy it from a large supplier already in 330cf cylinders.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

You can also look into 95/5 for spray transfer, if they have it in the bigger bottles.
-Jonathan
KEJ76

Thanks guys. I'm sure its probably because they just choose not to carry it in smaller bottles. I just wanted to throw this out here to see if there was another reason other than that.

Otto....can't say I've ever heard of or seen anyone do spray arc with 75/25. I always thought that oxygen had to be present in order for that particular method to work properly. I'm not doubting you, just saying.

Thanks again all, KJ
gundog
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Otto I have been schooled that you need 85% argon for spray. Is that wrong? I believe it is in some of our books also. I have heard of people running a buried arc that would be close to spray.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

From experience I'd say spray arc can be reached with most % gas mixes - the exact ratio effects a bit the voltage at which true spray transfer occurs for any given wire size & as you say the 95 / 5 and similar mixes have some oxygen - in another similar post reference was made to BOC argoshield light which they state has it added to assist wetting of the puddle edge - I've only used spray with argoshield heavy ( 80 / 20 ) & that works fine but does not happen below about 34 volts & I believe has no oxygen.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey all, I did miles of spay in the shipyard. Mostly 90-10.
75-25 always seemed more susceptible to porosity when cranked up for spray.

Look around for another supplier. My local supplier is willing to hook me up with
any mix in any size bottle.

Some suppliers have no customer service skills.
KEJ76

Hey Rake. Unfortunetly they're the only gas supplier here. Which really sux! I stopped by there yesterday to swap out my oxygen bottle and I asked about upgrading to a bigger bottle and if they would trade with me on my smaller bottle for a discount on the bigger bottle. They said no.
Then I asked if they had any 1/8 gas lens tig cups. They didn't have any of those either. They'll have to order me one.
Anyways, they damn sure aren't very helpful.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Man that sucks. You know if you had a "Y" fitting you could blend 75-35 and pure to get a gas suitable for spray.
If you ran double pure to 75-25 you should be able to get it down to a 90-10 blend.
KEJ76

I do have a "Y" fitting and I think I'll try that. Thanks!