mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've been told to look into 100% CO2 shielding gas for mig welding was just wondering if anyone could tell me the pros and cons about it? Does the weld look good lay flat penetrait good? And is it spray or short arc?
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Plan A---Inexpensive.
Plan B--- gotta get the stick out(Jody videos-cut nozzle) and wire feed speed absolutely perfect or the spatter will show up.
Much better at low~ish amperage than high.Over 1/4" you surely want C25.
I'm old enough to remember when it was all that was available.A bit finicky and totally sufficient.
C25 covers those who don't know how to set a machine. Think of it as an automatic transmission.
Miller actually created "auto-set" because people are generally idiots..........
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

CO2 is for short-arc only and you generally need to run it 1 to 2 volts higher than 75/25 because straight CO2 has less ionization potential than mixed gas because of the argon. It does require a little more fine tuning and ctwd (stick-out) control to get a smooth spatter free weld.
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I run straight CO2 and have no problems. You do get a bit more spatter, but get the machine dialed in right and you are good to go. The $$ savings is worth it for me.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

AKmud wrote:I run straight CO2 and have no problems. You do get a bit more spatter, but get the machine dialed in right and you are good to go. The $$ savings is worth it for me.
Muddy is on the North pole. I'm on the equator(mas o menos).Get a bottle of CO2 and deal with it. More money will be left over for............................... ;)