mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

what technique do you guys and gals use for mig welding uphill?..This is one of my favorites for laps and tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey, mine is a sloppy copy of yours. Sort of what you would expect if Charles Schulz Copied a Rembrandt.
Thanks again, because of you I'm a better welder.

Bill
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jody,

I'd love to know the specifics on that weld... Material, thickness(es), wire (and size), and settings (and what machine those settings are on...). I've never been able to get a bead quite that consistent welding MIG uphill.

Do you have a method for maintaining a rythym in those steps? I sometimes play songs in my head, and move to the beat, just to maintain a rythym.

Steve S

Steve,
A36 material 3/8" thick. Er70s6 Lincoln l56 .035" wire. Millermatic 250 using 75/25 argon/co2 at 25 cfh. 19.5-20 volts and around 240-250 ipm wire speed. This was a while back but these settings are very close if memory serves. Which sometimes it does not as I am older now than I have ever been. Lol

Best
Jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, that makes sense...

I'm too accustomed to downhand settings, and have likely been too hot/fast to get the same results uphand.

My job over-engineers stuff to allow downhand MIG for most structural stuff, but I'd like to show them a better way.

Thanks,

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

When I was doing a lot of vert up mig I would use the same pattern. Would also do a tight "mirrored" z pattern.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
I have been told my vertical up can be unique. I was showing someone how to vertical up on 30"pipe and was told I hold my gun 90* to my work piece. I never gave it a thought before that. Now I am not sure if I always do it on my ups.
Anyway, I have already posted this picture but it is the only one I have right now. This was a root on 1-1/2" plate to 1/2" wall rec tube. There was a 1/16"-1/8" gap the whole way up. My technique is simply whipping straight up and down. My count is usually one(going up), twooooo, one, twooooo, with two holding the puddle allowing it to build up (if that makes sense).
For the cover pass, I actually did it just like some would do 7018. I was told the other day I do this differently as well. Depending on what is being welded and how wide it is, I generally hold the sides for a quicker count of 3 and gently move across repeating the process. Where I have been told I am different is, I will sweep across and actually go up and then down back into the puddle that has cooled. The closest letter I can think of is a "U", My weaves are almost always very tight as opposed to being wide spaced. Don't know if this makes sense, as it is easier just to do it than say it.

Specs; Lincoln L-59 ER70S-6 .045, 90/10 gas, 140 IPM, .92 Trim, Pulse.
-Jonathan
Attachments
vertical up left.JPG
vertical up left.JPG (106.74 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice welds Johnathan.
Guessing your 350mp???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

John,
Yes and it was even brand new then! I will tell you, these machines are VERY good in my opinion. I have 3 and would buy more in a heartbeat.
-Jonathan

I never hooked up my Powermig 300 to the Mig gun, just sticked and Al with it....

I'm sure its awesome on steel.

Looks good,

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
MrO
  • MrO
    Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Both great looking welds compared to mine. But ive only done about 4/5 attempts so far...

I think i'm making my weld bead to wide, on 1/4 plate ive got a 8-10mm weld. It must be strong but it's looking too big.

I would like to test my Mig uphill welding just to know what i'm doing is right but i'm pretty limited to what i can do at work (as we don't do any uphill mig :lol:
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

It never fails, I try to practice that technique on a piece of scrap plate I have laying around and it looks like Ray Charles welded it. I have a joint to weld at work and just not thinking, do it without a flaw and looks great. I just can't sit down and practice on plate like that because I will screw it up every time.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

I would like to see others contribute to this thread. Get some pictures and describe your technique.
-Jonathan
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

Wes917 wrote:When I was doing a lot of vert up mig I would use the same pattern. Would also do a tight "mirrored" z pattern.
What do you mean by "mirrored" Z weave?
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm trying to add pics but it board attachment quota reached

JDIGGS82 wrote:I'm trying to add pics but it board attachment quota reached

Same here.

I've posted a lot and it won't let me do anymore.

I pm'd the admin, and waiting for a response.

I'll let you know.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

This must be a "glitch".

I know JDIGGS82 does not have enough pictures up to reach the quota. John and I both have far more pictures up.

Steve S

There must be a glitch tonight, I had trouble logging on both on the computer and my iPhone. May not be related but who knows.
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82

Maybe it's not allowing me to post to save me the embarrassment lmao

JDIGGS82 wrote:Maybe it's not allowing me to post to save me the embarrassment lmao
I highly doubt that. You might blow us all out of the water. :D
-Jonathan

I'm dying to post pics of today's work, my new table, and my new welder.

Your killing me!!!

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

John,

I'm getting the "quota" thingie too, for some reason.

This time I "joined" at http://www.tinypic.com and posted two pictures in "shop talk", topic "shoot the breeze".

Tinypic is free (I think photobucket is, too), and you can just copy and paste IMG code, and share higher-resolution pictures.

Steve S
JDIGGS82

Image. Some of my vert up from yesterday
JDIGGS82

One more today tried a vert up weave
[