mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
HeavyOil
    Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Hey all,
Brand new to the forum and I am excited to have access to the knowledge of people more experienced than me about selecting welding equipment. I'm about to buy my first welder for use at home and I'm conflicted.

Previously I was set on the Hobart handler 140, read all about it, was sure it was the machine for me.
And then...... I walked into my local airgas store and found the Tweco Fabricator 141i. I've read the literature, watched Victor's you tube videos, and it looks like a great machine. BUT.. There is nothing available on the Internet's as far as first hand reviews of this unit.

So my question to you all is how does the Tweco 141i run?
Any first hand knowledge would be especially appreciated.
Is the Tweco as strong of a MIG as the Hobart? On paper it has a better duty cycle and slightly higher voltage. This is a garage unit and will be used primarily for GMAW & FCAW, the inductance is kind of exciting because it makes me think i can run CO2 MIG more easily.

The additional features are nice but not essential as is the lower weight, though I will pay the extra 100$ for them if the unit performance is equal to or better than the Hobart.

Also I'm not going larger than this, these are the units that fit my price range (Handler 465$, Tweco 570$) and needs. I can and have wired 220 outlets but not going to do it for this so don't bother.

Thank you guys.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum HeavyOil.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

HeavyOil wrote:Hey all,
Brand new to the forum and I am excited to have access to the knowledge of people more experienced than me about selecting welding equipment. I'm about to buy my first welder for use at home and I'm conflicted.

Previously I was set on the Hobart handler 140, read all about it, was sure it was the machine for me.
And then...... I walked into my local airgas store and found the Tweco Fabricator 141i. I've read the literature, watched Victor's you tube videos, and it looks like a great machine. BUT.. There is nothing available on the Internet's as far as first hand reviews of this unit.

So my question to you all is how does the Tweco 141i run?
Any first hand knowledge would be especially appreciated.
Is the Tweco as strong of a MIG as the Hobart? On paper it has a better duty cycle and slightly higher voltage. This is a garage unit and will be used primarily for GMAW & FCAW, the inductance is kind of exciting because it makes me think i can run CO2 MIG more easily.

The additional features are nice but not essential as is the lower weight, though I will pay the extra 100$ for them if the unit performance is equal to or better than the Hobart.

Also I'm not going larger than this, these are the units that fit my price range (Handler 465$, Tweco 570$) and needs. I can and have wired 220 outlets but not going to do it for this so don't bother.

Thank you guys.

Having had several hobart migs, I can honestly say they are one of the best mig machines....
I to am looking at the Tweco 141i.
It's an awesome machine for mig, (So I hear) 140amps, with inductance.
And 90amp stick, which would be really nice for 115v work with 1/8 6010, and 3/32 7018.
And tig.... :|
All for $600-$700.
I would get the Tweco over the only mig machine.
You'll find you'll use the stick often. (or at least I would).
What all kind of stuff you gonna be working on???

Welcome to the forum. :D

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
HeavyOil

Thanks Paul, I hope I can add something of value to the forum.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

HeavyOil,
Welcome first of all. I would go with the 141i. I have tried all the others and was impressed, but not the 141i. This will be very versatile for your needs. I am sure the Hobart is a good machine but in my opinion you are getting more bang for your buck with the Tweco.
My opinion.
-Jonathan
HeavyOil

Thanks John, glad to be a part of this forum.
I am mostly looking at using the machine for around the house projects: building a pipe fence approx 500ft, fixing small tractor stuff, building / repairing things for friends. I've got experience (not enough) on miller machines, and they make me confident that the Hobart will be just fine. I just used a millermatic 140 to do some work on a 5' box blade and it handled it like a champ.

I'm already leaning heavily toward the Tweco because it has all of the options, I just want some first hand reassurance that it will be primarily, a good MIG machine.

Anyway for anyone who is interested they are on sale at Airgas stores for $570 through June, that's the best deal I've found.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Let us know which you end up with. Would be great to hear a review as well.
-Jonathan

You will find the stick function very useful.
Outside, rusty, portable welding is owned by stick.
If you do get it, let us know how it performs.

John

Ps.
I think there's some reviews on WeldingWeb.
I'll find some links.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I own a Hobart 140 and love it. I just bought an Everlast multi machine a few months back and can tell you now I very rarely fire the Hobart up. I use the stick and more recently the tig function a lot more than mig. I love the Hobart, I have ran a bunch of different mig machines and think that the Hobart is one of the best, but I find that if I have to clean the metal to weld it, I just go ahead and tig it because it looks better and more fun. I do use the mig for quick repairs on stuff I can get off the tractor and in the shop but for quick repairs without cleaning and taking apart I prefer stick.
I can't believe I am saying this but I would go with the Tweco. If I am not mistaken Tweco is made by Victor isn't it? If that is the case then you know you are getting quality. My opinion, and welcome.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
HeavyOil

Thanks, y'alls experience with the multi machines has convinced me. I guess I undervalued the benefits of having the other processes, so I'm buying the Tweco. Also I really wanted to learn the other processes anyway.

BTW can someone enlighten me as to why stick welding is favored more than FCAW for outside work?
Or compare the merits of SMAW 3/32" 7018 rod at 90amps to FCAW .035" E71 at 140amps. This would give me a baseline comparison of the limits of the machine using the two processes for outdoors welding.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

First of all stick is cheaper. Flux core wire can be very pricey depending on brand but so can stick rods. If you choose FCAW go with Forney brand wire if you can get it, it is cheaper but runs ten times better than other flux core wires I ran. Stick is very versatile and is easier to position the rod where you need it but the FCAW gun is fixed. I find it easier to get comfortable stick welding out of position compared to FCAW. You can usually get better penetration depending on which rod you go with and stick rods can fit in places that a gun could never. Personal preference I choose stick. I find it a little easier to get a ground with stick compared to mig or flux core. Personal opinion hope this helps.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I had a HH140. Great machine, no doubt. I have the 141i now. Great machine as well. The HH140 has more power being transformer based IMO. And I swear these new fusion tips suck. They wear out soooooo fast. I got it because I thought inductance control would be useful and it's really not. Just adding another knob to the combination.

It tig welds pretty nice too. Wish it had HF start and a gas solenoid, but still works really well.
HeavyOil

Hey Gamble, I watched your unboxing video on YouTube and was wondering if there was a review coming as well. Id be glad to hear any other observations about the 141i, especially downsides. Have you tried CO2 MIG and if so does the inductance control help reduce spatter?
Thanks[quote][/quote]
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

i haven't had a chance to, but i will. i am working on organizing the garage once that's done i'll do a review. have to make a list of the likes/dislikse and what other info people want to hear.
i hate the inductance setting to be honest. if it's not set right it doesn't weld worth a damn at all.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Flux core welding is an industrial process. The greedy bass_turds at the various welding companies saw it as a way to sell inferior machines to idiots wanting something for nothing. A complete and total farce, like plated-coated drill bits.JUst stupid.

Antorcha wrote:Flux core welding is an industrial process. The greedy bass_turds at the various welding companies saw it as a way to sell inferior machines to idiots wanting something for nothing. A complete and total farce, like plated-coated drill bits.JUst stupid.
Are you talking about HF 90, or a HH140 with Lincoln Nr211????

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
HeavyOil

Anatorcha,
I think you are replying to my question of which is better 90amp 3/32" 7018 or 140amp 0.035" E70S6. So what you're saying is that stick welding is much better for homeowner grade outdoor welding and that flux core should be reserved for professional applications, Correct? Well I've done very little stick welding in my limited welding experience (I'm an engineer not a welder), mostly flux core and it's worked for me, but there must be a reason why the company I work for uses only SMAW to weld together oil platforms once we set them.