mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Threw this grill stand together with odd ball stuff laying around. Used my TA 181I to mig this together.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Looks great, though Ill recommend a lip on the front and back of the table, to prevent the grill falling if it "creeps" duing multiple opens and closes.

Mick
moon
    Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

I built a creeper for the long ecds that our shop builds. Its a track on hinges. There is a wheel on one side to make it easy to get threw the tube. We also built a bracket with v grove wheels to hold the creeper on the track. Right now I'm working on a guide for the tube.

Well ist not letting me add pictures ill have to add to photpbucket when I get off work
moon

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Moon,
Very nice! A few questions; what is ecds (didn't take the time to look it up) and what size and grade is that pipe?
-Jonathan
moon

To be honest I have no idea what ecd stands for. And I'm not exactly what it is for all I realty know is they are a burner for cemron energy. The tube is 20 ft x4ft 1/4 in tube wall as for the grade I have no clue.

Had a rush job today. Customer needed these DOM tubes welded for something used in the Frack industry. The only catch in these welds was I had to get the weld as close to the edge of the tube without to much of it off. Was a fun little job. I love using the rotisserie!
-Jonathan
Attachments
orbital weld.JPG
orbital weld.JPG (110.98 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

That is slicker than snot on a doorknob

I got all 12 of them done. Was a good easy job, wish more like this would show up! My wife was out there taking pictures of me and she did not believe me when I said I would post them here. Here is proof that I do get to weld once in a while.
Oh and a real weldor wears pokadot beanie. :lol:
-Jonathan
Attachments
photoBEI8XHKU.JPG
photoBEI8XHKU.JPG (119.95 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG (122.74 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
IMG_2055.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG (107.63 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Geesus, I love this thread.

Great stuff.

And, pokadot, you say. Nice.

For those who want to know what I do at my day job, here it is. Our patent was published a few months ago and we are realeasing these videos to the public so now I can share. This has been a 5 year project thus far and will have a couple more years until everything is completely done. The machine pictured is designed to be used in mainly tunneling applications but we will be also targeting open trench as well. We built everything on the machine from a pile of steel and had machining done elsewhere. In its current state it will push 30" 3/4" wall pipe for 5 miles up a 2* incline, generating 1.2 million pounds of max thrust. A complete stroke takes less than 3 minutes, so our hold up is the welding. The clamping system can be changed to accept 8" up to 42" pipe. The rollers I posted earlier in this thread can be seen in the first of the video. I am in the middle of designing a welding station to incorporate orbital welding to increase production and allow the machine to operate efficiently. Soon I will post actual pictures of the machine as it is a little different than the video. There are clamps at both ends in real life, not one. Anyway thought I would post this up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKh_FrPM7E
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Jonathan,
That's pretty cool, I must say. The video must of taken quite a bit to produce just in itself. Cool stuff.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Kinda bored today so we started in on our 3G mig. Only picture I took but good reference anyway. This is the second pass. Specs; Pulse on 350MP .035 ER70S-6, 90/10 gas, 165 WFS, .96 trim. Runs like a champ.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

Might as well put this up too. Trying out my Cougar pistol gun and loving it! Here's the best I have do far. Won't bore on specs as there are to many for this. Feel free to advise how it can be better.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.35 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
3f mig
I have a soldering iron!

Very nice drifta-x! What are your specs on that and did you whip those beads? Looks kinda line there is a weave pattern.
-Jonathan
Drifta-X

8m/min. 24.3volts

That pic is side on. Bottom being right side. (Vert up)
2nd pass that is (cover)
I have a soldering iron!

Thanks, I should have paid better attention to the 3F part and I would have not asked about the weave :oops:
Looking good, are you certifying now or just practicing?
-Jonathan
Drifta-X

Part of my weld to australian standards module for my cert 4
Was very pleased with it.
Shame iPhone4 takes average pix.

Messed around yesterday with some 7018.
Only really done arc to help other students once my module was done, so was time to Prac on 3/8 in 1g again with a 3/32 open gap and land.
Slowly getting better
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
I have a soldering iron!
Drifta-X

^^^^^^^ 6 pass 7018, 1/8 rod, 110 root, 120 hot, 130 caps
Did root then a left and right hot pass
Then left cap, right cap and finished with middle
I have a soldering iron!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:For those who want to know what I do at my day job, here it is. Our patent was published a few months ago and we are realeasing these videos to the public so now I can share. This has been a 5 year project thus far and will have a couple more years until everything is completely done. The machine pictured is designed to be used in mainly tunneling applications but we will be also targeting open trench as well. We built everything on the machine from a pile of steel and had machining done elsewhere. In its current state it will push 30" 3/4" wall pipe for 5 miles up a 2* incline, generating 1.2 million pounds of max thrust. A complete stroke takes less than 3 minutes, so our hold up is the welding. The clamping system can be changed to accept 8" up to 42" pipe. The rollers I posted earlier in this thread can be seen in the first of the video. I am in the middle of designing a welding station to incorporate orbital welding to increase production and allow the machine to operate efficiently. Soon I will post actual pictures of the machine as it is a little different than the video. There are clamps at both ends in real life, not one. Anyway thought I would post this up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKh_FrPM7E
-Jonathan
Impressive!

It seems to be based on current "line-bore" technology for pushing small-bore pipe and conduit under obstacles, but done "on steroids"!

Steve S

Steve,
You are correct. It's basic structure comes from directional drills. If we added the gear box we could drill with it as well. I will get a few pictures of the actual machine soon.
-Jonathan

Edit; here is a pic of most components on the machine. At this point there was alot of hydraulics, wiring and assembly left.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Steve,
You are correct. It's basic structure comes from directional drills. If we added the gear box we could drill with it as well. I will get a few pictures of the actual machine soon.
-Jonathan

Edit; here is a pic of most components on the machine. At this point there was alot of hydraulics, wiring and assembly left.

Are some of the weldements in these pics, resemble those cracked welds in your first posts??
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

John,
You are correct. The thread "cracked welds" did indeed come from the end clamps seen in those pictures. There are still imperfect welds but thankfully they are noncritical in nature. Also in the design we kinda went overboard on strength requirements. Some will in fact need repaired as we are beginning the process of certifying this machine and what a monumental task that is!
Here is one of the cracks from that thread that I actually repaired.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

Here is another project we did about 2 years ago. It is a Recycler used in drilling, slurry walls, vertical shafts and other fields. It is made to ISO container specs so they can be shipped like a regular shipping container. The bottom holds the pumps, motors and fluid, while the top has the shakers and hydrocyclones. It is the only one like it in the world to date. We designed it for a very quick set up and tear down as opposed to others that take a very large foot print at a job site. It is literally plug and play. This machine was shipped to Sourh America for use at our parent company.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (129.08 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.28 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.34 KiB) Viewed 1749 times