mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
harleychief
    Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

I was wondering, for practice (since I'm new I see a lot of practice ahead of me), is it better to use flux core or solid wire w/gas? This isn't for structure, the practice is for technique.

Thanks
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Good morning, HarleyChief-
The difference will likely come down to your preference. Solid wire with C-25 shielding gas will produce the best *looking* weld, but requires you to go and get a bottle of gas (renting / buying a bottle, what size bottle, best price decision, is the LWS open when I need it, do you already have a regulator). Flux core prevents all that but produces a weld with a slag cover that must be cleared off, and also produces a lot of BBs and spatter. Flux core doesn't work well on thin materials so if your ultimate goal is welding body panels, for instance, you may want to start with solid wire MIG.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes! And I saw your other post- hope your move goes well!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Gizmo
    Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I use both most of the time it is with gas but if I am outside and it is windy I will us the flux core because the gas keeps getting blown off the work.
Miller Dynasty 400 TigRunner
Miller Invision 352 MPa w/ D-74 MPa Plus
Miller AlumaPower 350 MPa w/ XR Alumafeed Suitcase
Miller XR-Aluma-Pro Push Pull Gun
Miller XR-Aluma-Pro Lite Push Pull Gun
Hypertherm PowerMax 45 XP
CK Worldwide Torches
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I don't use flux core to often, but I do find that it's a bit different while welding. If you plan on doing solid wire with gas most of the time, I would definitely practice with solid wire and gas.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I HATE flux core.Stinkin, filthy, spattery crap.If I can't use the MIG I drag out the cables and a pocket full of 70XX.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

I always use flux core, no gas.

Often, more often than not, I'm outdoors, in someone else's back yard, depot, garden, driveway, etc

But even in my workshop I weld with flux core ss.

True, it doesn't look as pretty, but no-one has ever, not once, complained about the look of my welds (not that some of these little gems didn't deserve some "feedback"). With a bit of practice, they look fine. And I rarely grind a weld, and then usually because I need to square something up and need a "flat" weld to start with.

It does emit fumes (stink) and smoke (dirty) and spatter etc. Brush it clean, scrape off any dags, hit it with some silver paint (or prime and top coat it). (In comparison to TIG, flux core welding is a return to the dark ages on the "clean and pleasant" scale).

The convenience of flux core just astounds me.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

AnvilJack wrote:I always use flux core, no gas.

Often, more often than not, I'm outdoors, in someone else's back yard, depot, garden, driveway, etc

But even in my workshop I weld with flux core ss.

True, it doesn't look as pretty, but no-one has ever, not once, complained about the look of my welds (not that some of these little gems didn't deserve some "feedback"). With a bit of practice, they look fine. And I rarely grind a weld, and then usually because I need to square something up and need a "flat" weld to start with.

It does emit fumes (stink) and smoke (dirty) and spatter etc. Brush it clean, scrape off any dags, hit it with some silver paint (or prime and top coat it). (In comparison to TIG, flux core welding is a return to the dark ages on the "clean and pleasant" scale).

The convenience of flux core just astounds me.
Hey,
Just as handy as stick (smaw).... ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I ran flux core for a couple years in my machine and I switched it over to gas a while back. I run solid now all the time but I keep a roll of flux core handy just in case I run out of gas or need to use the machine outside. Just a thought if you are wanting to practice and you know you are going to probably use one more than the other then go that way because both wires run differently, technique and characteristics. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt