mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
sunppeli
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

I have an old ESAB LAG315 MIG/MAG welder from the 80's. I was wondering if it is possible to use spray transfer on it. I'm using 1,0mm wire (~0,04") and argon with 18% co2. What kind of setting should I use?

Also I've been wondering about the relationship between voltage and current. Why do some newer machines adjust current and older machines adjust ampreage? On my machine, I guess, the voltage will increase when I turn up the current?

Thanks!!
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

Can your machine get into the high twenties for volts? I've read where guys say you can get into spray faster with 98% argon, and 2% oxygen.

This is .035” Lincoln's L-56 wire with C-10 gas.
sunppeli
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

There is no way to tell how many volts it's putting out! It only has current switches on the front panel and a separate wire feeder unit. No digital meters on my welder :P . If it's necessary to know the voltage, maybe I could measure it on a separate device between + and -? That way I could learn how to adjust the voltage?

That's a beautiful bead!!
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

sunppeli wrote:There is no way to tell how many volts it's putting out! It only has current switches on the front panel and a separate wire feeder unit. No digital meters on my welder :P . If it's necessary to know the voltage, maybe I could measure it on a separate device between + and -? That way I could learn how to adjust the voltage?

That's a beautiful bead!!
That works, just have someone read the meter while you are welding so you can keep a consistent bead and reduce the minor fluctuations that show on the meter.

Or just video the meter and play it back when finished.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Crank it up into the higher settings and then adjust the wire feed to suit, until you get a sound like cloth tearing.
Mick