mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I got a longer ground clamp and cable to go with my longer mig gun. It's a different style clamp, takes more force to open, but when it clamps down it clamps real good. It'll work real good for working on heavier stuff. But it wouldn't be good for clamping smaller parts.

Would it be a bad idea to have both the larger clamp, AND the smaller clamp hooked up to the welder, and then just use whichever clamp best suits the work piece I'm welding on? And then just leave the one I'm not using coiled up on it's storage hook on the cart. Rather than opening up the machine and switching the cables any time I want to switch.

I always run electrode positive, if that matters.

Any danger in doing this? Dumb idea? Good idea?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't see a thing in the world wrong with it.

Some people even hook both grounds up to the work.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Agreed.

No issues. If you have a transformer machine, find something for the unused clamp to do, so it doesn't leave a li'l arc mark on something when you break the arc while welding on the other ground. Lay it on top of or clamp it to the machine, or clamp it to some earthed ground to reduce RFI on your shop radio, perhaps.

Steve S
danielbuck

Otto Nobedder wrote:Agreed.

No issues. If you have a transformer machine, find something for the unused clamp to do, so it doesn't leave a li'l arc mark on something when you break the arc while welding on the other ground. Lay it on top of or clamp it to the machine, or clamp it to some earthed ground to reduce RFI on your shop radio, perhaps.

Steve S

would clamping it to the welding table be fine? Even if what I'm welding is not on the table?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

danielbuck wrote:

would clamping it to the welding table be fine? Even if what I'm welding is not on the table?
Yep. It can do no harm, and it's out of the way.

Leaving it laying on the floor is fine, too. I only suggest you're aware of where the unused clamp is, as opposed to having it accidentally laying on some polished piece that would suffer from a tiny arc mark.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm in favor.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

You'll of course only be able to create a current path for the weld if there is a similar return path. If there is more than one return path, then simply put there are two ways for current to get back to the machine ( in simplistic terms the return path is shared). If one is disconnected, the other return path takes over this task completely. There is still a return path. Everything will work OK.

Tip: When welding on a car/auto, anything with shafts and bearings, put the ground as close as possible to the welding arc. This minimizes stray currents in other parts of the job (e.g. most Engine Management Computers don't like stray currents)

Unless you don't like engines and machines that turn, never connect the ground to a bearing path (tail shaft, axle, wheel hub, engine block etc). Put the static ground as close to the static weld point as possible.

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
danielbuck

TRACKRANGER wrote:You'll of course only be able to create a current path for the weld if there is a similar return path. If there is more than one return path, then simply put there are two ways for current to get back to the machine ( in simplistic terms the return path is shared). If one is disconnected, the other return path takes over this task completely. There is still a return path. Everything will work OK.

Tip: When welding on a car/auto, anything with shafts and bearings, put the ground as close as possible to the welding arc. This minimizes stray currents in other parts of the job (e.g. most Engine Management Computers don't like stray currents)

Unless you don't like engines and machines that turn, never connect the ground to a bearing path (tail shaft, axle, wheel hub, engine block etc). Put the static ground as close to the static weld point as possible.

Trev

Thanks for the tips Trev :) In general, I try to keep the ground somewhat close to where I'm welding just out of habit. Interesting notes on the bearings and computers, thanks!