mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
jones318
    Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Probably a bit of a silly question to you seasoned vet's and naturals to welding,but I'm neither.However I do love to weld and I have also enjoyed being paid to weld since I graduated school in April.Got a call for a better paying job today and will be tested tomorrow.It's a mig test and I only Mig welded for 3 day's in school.The rest was Stick and Tig which is why I'm a bit nervous.Here is the test as far as I know,so if any of you have any pointers or could explain how I could make sure not to make this go wrong,I'd certainly appreciate it.So would my pockets ;) Single bevel in flat position with backing.1/2" plate with either a 1/2" or 3/4" gap.Seems like I remember someone talking about this test awhile back and they want you to run half of it,then turn it around and tie in from the other side.I guess my first silly specific question is ,how do you know when you've reached the end of your first weld if the dang gun is in the way.I envision myself dragging from the start of both sides.Does this mean I drag on one side and push on the other to see where I tie in? :mrgreen:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The very first thing to remember with mig is when pushing the gun, (all we do here in Australia) Keep the wire (and arc) hitting fresh metal all the time, this means you may have to move along at a decent clip, if you are running hot, (in the flat position, you will be) also keep your head level with the end of the gun, not level with your hands, so you can see exactly what is happening right at the business end, If you can tig and stick, youll have no worries migging, But the first point is critical because the constant feed of wire is a very real issue in lack of fusion. Youll do fine.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

So, how did it go?