mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Jesse813
    Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:19 pm

I recently bought a 115v might welder and have been having some issues. There's no penetration and its popping a lot. I'm a beginner with mig, I've used flux core but am new to using gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jesse813 wrote:I recently bought a 115v might welder and have been having some issues. There's no penetration and its popping a lot. I'm a beginner with mig, I've used flux core but am new to using gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
You sure your polarity is correct? Flux core wants to be DCEN. Electrode negative. There should be a treminal block in the wire compartment to change it.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Jesse813

I'm pretty sure the polarity is correct, I bought it used and it was set up for mig when I got it. I have the gas setup and I did some reaserch to make sure the flow was right but it didn't make a difference, neither did adjusting heat or wire speed.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Are you useing gas while you run the fluxcore wire?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Jesse813 wrote:I'm pretty sure the polarity is correct, I bought it used and it was set up for mig when I got it. I have the gas setup and I did some reaserch to make sure the flow was right but it didn't make a difference, neither did adjusting heat or wire speed.
Let me guess. You're welding old bed frame"angle iron" or galvanized steel ?
Jesse813

Poland308 wrote:Are you useing gas while you run the fluxcore wire?
No, I haven't used flux core with it yet. Only mig wire with gas.
Jesse813

Antorcha wrote:Let me guess. You're welding old bed frame"angle iron" or galvanized steel ?
No just flat steel, nothing special

Jody has a pile of videos on MIG welding, but there are 3 that specifically deal with 115 volt machines;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEHlfh6DO8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOSchZ9ATY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzSNpsLT40Q

There is a playlist for MIG basics that can't hurt to watch also. Covers a lot of terrority.

You might post some pics to help us diagnose the issues you're having.

We'll get it figured out with you,
Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Blindrider110
    Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 pm

[quote="Jesse813"]I recently bought a 115v might welder and have been having some issues. There's no penetration and its popping a lot. I'm a beginner with mig, I've used flux core but am new to using gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

In my experience the 115v just doesn't have enough power to weld anything over 11g (eighth inch). Anything equal to or less than 115 works great. Might need to check material thickness and possibly look into 220v +