mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Been looking at getting a Mig machine for myself . I do mostly small to medium TIG repairs and fab ... lately my buddy has been bringing me larger work , construction equipment , dump bodies that don't need TIG precision and with all the joints take forever with TIG . I'd like to have a MIG machine here. After some looking, I have two machines I think would suit my needs. The newer (2016) Millermatic 211 inverter ...and they also have a 2015 Millermatic 211 Autoset MVP which I think is transformer . Transformer machine last longer ??? idk .

Can anyone give some insight on the pro's and cons for these two machines ?

Please, no "go buy a 140" , "go buy a tweco" or "better off with a Lincoln 180dual , 210MP . The price difference between the 2016/2016 millermatic is not important to me , and the weight diff is not a huge deal .
I'm interested in either the 2015 Millermatic 211 vs the 2016 Millermatic 211 inverter .

Most of what I do is 0.065 up to 1/4" . There is a miller dealer right here, so I want a miller. I already have 220 in the garage for my TIG machine. I use 220 anywhere I work

Thanks much !
Last edited by subwayrocket on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Forget 115v only migs.

If you think your going to be using 115v input power, get a Duel voltage machine.
They are roughly the same size, and not much more money.

Lincoln 210mp is unbeatable.

I was gonna get one, but went with the Tweco Fabricator 211i
Only because it had 12" spool cap, which the Lincoln does not.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I just carried a Tweco Fabricator 211i home today. I decided on it based on the recommendation of the guy at my LWS, and conversations with a couple guys who run 'em, including John (AKweldshop). I think I'm gonna like it a lot. Very solidly built machine.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I went the 210 route and just fired it up tonight on 110v with the roll of flux core it comes with to make sure it functions. I can't wait to get a bottle of gas and some real wire. I'm impressed already.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Well since none of the others directly answered your question :o ;) I highly recommend you test both the 2015 and the 2016 if you can. The only thing I can think of that would be much different is the arc characteristics between inverter and transformer, besides the argument of which will last longer. My best guess would be go with the transformer as I feel they have a better arc, at least until you get into the high end machines, and should in theory last longer. Plus you might get a slightly better deal on the 2015 machine.
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Well since none of the others directly answered your question :o ;) I highly recommend you test both the 2015 and the 2016 if you can. The only thing I can think of that would be much different is the arc characteristics between inverter and transformer, besides the argument of which will last longer. My best guess would be go with the transformer as I feel they have a better arc, at least until you get into the high end machines, and should in theory last longer. Plus you might get a slightly better deal on the 2015 machine.
-Jonathan
Thanks much . This is what I was kind of thinking . Transformer machine less likely to burn out .
Weight is not a concern to me . I heard the new inverter might have a little better arc .... I have no idea.
If I need to be really precise i'n gonna TIG anyway . Price of either one is similar .
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Sub, this might not be very helpful...but have you considered just busting out the stick function on your 250 EX for the heavy work?

Your machine has some very similar features to mine. I only started using the stick function on mine last week and I'm very impressed - it's nothing like the splattery, messy old stick machines I'm used to. Welds fast, quiet and clean, slag just lifts off.

I had been half considering a Mig myself for those 'I just have to build a trailer, fast' type jobs, but I'll be using the stick welder for now.

Just a thought.

Kym

I do have a stick lead for my machine. I'm not looking so much to save money on another machine ...the 211 is not that much, it's more the time savings i'm looking for with the stuff that doesn't need TIG precision. Like I was saying, my buddy has been bringing me larger work , construction equipment , dump bodies that don't need TIG precision and with all the joints take forever with TIG . It looks like the MIG will do thinner stuff too . My main problem is Time and I think a MIG can save me alotta time where I don't need the TIG precision. I have a day job , this is all barter system and we all benefit. But I can't have 3-4 days tied up again for something I could have done in 1-2 days. Thanks though !

Last edited by subwayrocket on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Transformers will be more reliable and cheaper to repair. Arc quality is a lot of personal preference. In advanced migs like my 350p, inverter technology allows the machine to do things a transformer just can't do.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I asked the guys in our tin shop what they thought because they have both versions. They said they didn't see any noticeable differance in weld quality. They did like the weight differance and said that was there only preference between the two. They weld a lot every day with both machines and haven't had problems with either.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Thanks much , everyone . I appreciate all the input !
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi Guys,

This post was reported to me, and as such I have edited some of the posts. I can vouch for 99% of the posters here, in that no one is out to discredit or put down anyone, and that's the way I want it to stay. If you have an issue with what someone says send them a Personal Message and work it out. Don't try and figure out someones intent from the written word, which is incredibly hard. Editing a post is in no way a reflection of a persons approval or disapproval of another person.

Have a fantastic day, Mick

Thanks much Mick . Appreciate it .
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No problem mate

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

Got the Millermatic 211 transformer, 2015 leftover . :D