mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Hello,

Jody describes mig welding with stainless to be a bit more difficult than using standard 70S-6 wire. I am curious what is different about it specifically. I have been welding mild steel with stainless wire, and it does seem harder to get a good penetrating and consistent looking bead, but I'm not sure if that is what Jody was referring to and what I can do to improve things.

Thanks,
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Are you changing gas when you go from carbon to SS ?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Nope, I am using 75/25 as I normally so with carbon wire. I am welding carbon steel components using 308 stainless wire.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Hmmm... Ive never tried welding carbon steel with SS wire. Then again I haven't MIG welded SS very much at all. Have you done a bend test or cut and etched your welds at all? How does the strength hold up compared to regular 70S6 wire???
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Stainless wire really likes a tri-mix gas, like 90% He, 7.5%, 2.5% CO2, but it can be welded with 75/25. You have to run it hotter, and accept that the weld surface will be grey.

Also, welding carbon steel with stainless wire is usually done with 309, not 308.

309 is an alloy that is designed for the dissimilarities between metals that welding carbon with stainless causes.

Steve S