mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
fabcor
    Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey folks,
Have the Lincoln 210 MP, and recently bought a spool gun for it, Real Gear brand, didn't buy the LIncoln spool gun, simple reason, wanted to see how things were goin to go first. When all set up, start welding, but no matter the settings, it seems to be globular transfer mode, very cold. When try to weld a tee joint, with HSS it works terrible, reminds me of arc blow with stick. can not get a nice weld, any input would be greatly appreciated, as this setup is about to hit the curb.
Thanks
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Exactly what kind of wire are you trying to run through this spoolgun?
fabcor

Can't remember, want to say 5356 0.35
fabcor

Yes 5356
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

From my understanding you should always use the next size bigger contact tip (.045") since aluminum expands so much in heat. Whether or not this is your problem you'll have to see.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I've also heard that about upsizing the tip.I have the same machine but got the Lincoln spool gun and just used the .035 tips I had and 4043 wire. Seems to do just fine for me. I do burn back a tip every now and then so I may get some .045 tips but so far I'm really happy with mine. Are you using the automatic setting? I usually turn the heat up a little but turn the wire speed down a bit more. Still within their settings though.
fabcor

Will try the 0.45 tip, but doesn't seem to me that would cause the problem in the corner of hss, like I said as soon as I try a fillet weld it really works bad, really erratic
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Putting an oversized contact tip in would make it a lack of contact tip wouldn't it? It's being fed with cold wire going through the tip isn't it?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Coldman wrote:Putting an oversized contact tip in would make it a lack of contact tip wouldn't it? It's being fed with cold wire going through the tip isn't it?

The tip is what transfers the electric to the wire......wouldn't going with a bigger tip lack some contact to the wire?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

rahtreelimbs wrote:
Coldman wrote:Putting an oversized contact tip in would make it a lack of contact tip wouldn't it? It's being fed with cold wire going through the tip isn't it?

The tip is what transfers the electric to the wire......wouldn't going with a bigger tip lack some contact to the wire?
Electrical contact with the wire begins at the drive rollers. Look closely at how it's set up, and you'll see this.

The copper tip is there as a "dissimilar metal", just as backing up a weld (like patching a hole) is done with a dissimilar metal like a copper or aluminum block.

Steve S