mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I just bought four of these 5000lm LED shoplights from Amazon, go be able to get them close to the workpieces and not have to worry too much about light entering from the back of the helmet. I'll probably mount them to a tripod.

Oscar, those look nice, I see they have 100w as well. Would like to see your setup when you get it mounted...
Richard
Website

I have a couple old speaker tripods that I could probably use as stands. I think I'm still gonna get some of those harbor freight LED shoplights to upgrade the garage from the standard flourescent lights.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar, let us know how it works with the long tubes and if they need different fixtures. My old eyes are scared of the dark.
Thanks,,,,,Bill

They're bright as heck!

I'm just gonna mount them to 1" square tube with some 3/8" bolts/nuts/washers. The speaker stands that I have simply use a 3/8" threaded stud I can mount the 1" square tube to. I already used one of them when I was trying out some new dual shield wire today, and it did help out. Four of them will work great.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Put clear welding helmet lens covers on them to protect from spatter. Otherwise you will ruin your lights if they are within range of the spatter.
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:Put clear welding helmet lens covers on them to protect from spatter. Otherwise you will ruin your lights if they are within range of the spatter.
Yeap, I noticed that the hard way, lol. Saw a couple specks, but nothing major.

Bright as heck, but pales in comparison to an electric arc.

I'm going to buy another pair. If your helmet is at shade 11 or higher, they don't make too much of a difference. At least not from what I can tell with my optrel.
TheGman
    Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Oscar wrote:Bright as heck, but pales in comparison to an electric arc.

I'm going to buy another pair. If your helmet is at shade 11 or higher, they don't make too much of a difference. At least not from what I can tell with my optrel.
According to science, these things add to each other so you're putting out 15,000 LUMENS in this picture. I bought one of the HF 5,000 shop lights and it helps some but not what I was hoping for. I have 2 of them and I'll see if putting them side by side helps any better.

Open the picture in a new tab in your browser. ;)

I changed the orientation of the mounting of the lights is on the front side (rotated the 1" sq. tube 90° forward) .