mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Win! win! win!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I talked to a guy the other day about this contest and he said (and I quote) "so what am I going to do with another welder?" I had to laugh. :lol: I have heard now that it is supposed to be a generator welder. I will have to call my Account Manager and find out for sure.
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Sooooo Where is this Airgas going to be at, may have to make a little road trip and give you a run for your money 8-) :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

mcoe wrote:Sooooo Where is this Airgas going to be at, may have to make a little road trip and give you a run for your money 8-) :lol:
Hey bring it on :lol: Then when I win it we can go back to the shop and put it through its paces :o :shock:
Seriously it is here in Wooster.
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Sure when I win it we can take it to your shop and put it through it's paces :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

I had the opportunity to visit Lincoln Electric in Cleveland today and Demo their mechanized orbital welder. We worked with their Pipe Group and engineers to form a solution to our welding needs.I also got to try STT for the first time. I will say to anyone wanting to visit or attend the school in Cleveland, this is a very nice facility with a very professional staff. We were there for 6 hours and they treated us well.
The vertical up is .045 81M. I don't think I did to bad on the STT for a beginner :lol:
-Jonathan
Attachments
mechanized vert up.JPG
mechanized vert up.JPG (105.65 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
STT root.JPG
STT root.JPG (115.36 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
STT root 3.JPG
STT root 3.JPG (100.34 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Johnathan,
Thats great looking welds!1

My helmets off to you.... :D

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Where is Palmer ak exactly I'd love to live in coopers landing I thinks it's called
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

JDIGGS82 wrote:Where is Palmer ak exactly I'd love to live in coopers landing I thinks it's called

Coopers landing is about 1hr from me.
Palmer is one 40mi north of Anchorage....
Small place...
You been up here???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I did this the other day but thought I would put up a picture here too. I had to re-qualify for my AWS D1.1 in the 1G position, 1" plate. Specs; ER70S-6 .045, 26-26.5 volts, 280-300 ipm and 240-260 amps. I would say this is probable the easiest test one could take, in my opinion anyway.
I will be re-qualify for others as well and will get pics of those when I take them.
-Jonathan
Attachments
D1.1 final.JPG
D1.1 final.JPG (152.88 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Ak yeah was in anchorage my ex moved to Tyonek to teach came and met her in anchorage a couple times drove to the town where the moose is loose bakery is can't remember but had a doughnut the size of my head coopers landing was gorgeous we just headed out on old Seward hwy if I remember? Gorgeous drive it was thanksgiving of 09 I think
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:I did this the other day but thought I would put up a picture here too. I had to re-qualify for my AWS D1.1 in the 1G position, 1" plate. Specs; ER70S-6 .045, 26-26.5 volts, 280-300 ipm and 240-260 amps. I would say this is probable the easiest test one could take, in my opinion anyway.
I will be re-qualify for others as well and will get pics of those when I take them.
-Jonathan
Well, that sure as hell passes VT! :D

Good luck on the other re-quals!

Steve S

Thanks Steve!!

I went to Weld Tooling Corporation, or Bug-O, on Thursday to view a demonstration on their Piper Plus orbital welding system. I found their system to be very nice. One thing I liked about their system is the data logging and user interface. The system performed very well and we started the demo with a semi-automatic STT root followed with 4 passes with the automatic using 81M. Vey nice system if anyone here is looking for a orbital weld system for their shop. I do not think we will go with this system but is it nice none the less. I have used their Mod Drive system about 1 year ago and it also worked very well, will have to dig those pictures out sometime.
-Jonathan
Attachments
bug-0 weld.JPG
bug-0 weld.JPG (123.58 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
moon
    Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

Here is some tooling I built and put on a manipulatior its for a burner for cemron
Attachments
IMG_20140522_151538_798.jpg
IMG_20140522_151538_798.jpg (70.54 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Moon,
That is interesting, can you explain how this works?
-Jonathan
moon
    Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

All my tools parts are slot and tabbed for a accurate and easy assembly of the tool. Most are designed to tak the part pull out and then weld. But this one is designed to weld in the tool. The manipulater is just so all your welds can be done in the flat position.

I'll have to take a few more pictured of it on Monday with the part in the tool that will explain more than I ever can with words.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Our mig cert for Aus standard has a 2f fillet weld. 3run 10mm leg.

Everybody says its the easiest weld, but the instructors say its the one with the most failures. Due to old mig problem of "riding the pool" leading to lack of fusion.

Mick

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Our mig cert for Aus standard has a 2f fillet weld. 3run 10mm leg.

Everybody says its the easiest weld, but the instructors say its the one with the most failures. Due to old mig problem of "riding the pool" leading to lack of fusion.

Mick
I can see the 2F as another easy test. Strange about the failure rate though. I would think more would pass that one. I guess it is possible that the most failures come from the popularity of the test. If this is what everyone is taking, this is also one of the only ones they are failing.
-Jonathan

I see Mick's point about "riding the pool". Keeping your arc "on" the puddle makes a pretty bead, but if you don't get out ahead of it and burn in the joint, your pretty much "caulking" with metal.

Steve S

In the test i was refering to, the AS 1796 Number 8g (gmaw) there are four welds to do, a 2f fillet, a 3f fillet a 2g butt and a rotated 3" pipe. Out of those 4 welds, the 2f fillet causes the most failures, because people just turn the welder way up and think that it will weld its self. :-)

Mick
135boomer
    Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Newbie here. Tried my hand at Stick Welding and learned the ability to stick 2 pieces of metal together. Then took the plunge and bought a MIG Welder for home projects. This was my first attempted MIG project:
TJ Rear Rack w/Third Brake Light recessed
TJ Rear Rack w/Third Brake Light recessed
TJ Rack 01.jpg (55.66 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
A little closer view
A little closer view
TJ Rack 03.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Hey,

Welcome along. Looks like a great first try.

Mick

135boomer,
Welcome to the forum! That looks VERY professional in my book! I like that. I will show it to some friends with Jeeps. I have never seen a rack quite like that, very unique.
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ewils35
    Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

Welcome to the boards. That is a very unique concept. I've never seen them done like that. Very cool. And first time mig that came out really well

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Welcome!

That' not just "first time" nice, that's nice by any standard. Probably not your first time fitting up!

I like the placement of lynch pins to break it down nice and compact when it's off the jeep. Is that from plans, or did you design it yourself?

BTW, how is that hi-mount brake light attached? Self-adhesive? The low profile looks really clean.

Steve S