mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
andyb
    Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm a beginner and have been practicing on 1/8" steel pates making lap joints. A good portion of the time the first 75% (3-4") of the weld is the smooth "bacon frying" sound, and then it sputters and pops the rest of the way, though I don't think I'm changing my travel rate or gun angle or stick out.

I've tried to isolate the issue - ground clamped directly to my work piece rather than the table, prepped the metal well with a 120 grit flap disc, made sure my gas (C25) is on and flow is about 20 cfh...

I'm using a Miller 211 with the suggested setting for voltage and the machine automatically picking wire feed speed. I'm using Hobart 0.030 ER70S-6 wire. I'm pulling slightly (~10 degrees?) so that I can get a good view of the bead.

Am I just accidentally changing my speed or position of the gun and not realizing it? Any tips for a beginner?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It could be as simple as your distance (contact work distance) is becoming too long. Can you focus on keeping the gun the same distance and get better results?

Another thing to understand is the wire speed. When it becomes too slow, it begins sputtering because it’s not maintaining the arc. Do you feel the wire “stabbing” when the sputtering happens?
andyb
    Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Yes, I do feel the wire stabbing and trying to push my gun back a bit when the sputtering occurs.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Increase the wire speed and try again.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

andyb wrote:I'm a beginner and have been practicing on 1/8" steel pates making lap joints. ...........
I'm using a Miller 211 ............
are you running on 120v or 240v?
whats the wire feed speed?
can you look over and see what amperage and voltage your welding at?

i suspect its the welder running out of power.
tweak it until it breaks
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

How close to the end of the nozzle is the contact tip if your to close to the tip it can over heat and begin freeze up some flux nozzles are shorter from my experience the tip should be recessed about 1/2-1/4 inch just a thought

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Turn the auto wire feed speed off and try again.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

That sounds like my prostrate.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737