mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

So, I can not mig weld. Every time I go to do so, another problem comes up.

I was getting a bundle of wire in the suitcase. I thought the liner was to big. It was 0.45-1/16. The wire I was using was 0.35 flux core.

I ordered the right liner. They sent me the wrong one. I ordered another. It arrived. So, I put it in.

I start the Bobcat 250, then the Suitcase. The wire starts feeding through, then I see it starting to come out of the Suitcase.

I then remembered that when I took the liner out of the plastic bag it arrived in, there was a huge bend in it. I mean, it looked like a freaking V.

I have never mig welded before, but, the only thing that I can think of, if that the kink in the liner is causing the problem. But, it does get to the end of the gun. However, it was really hard to pull the wire out. I mean, it took me a while to do so.

Any ideas?

:oops: :roll:
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

That kink would definitely be the cause, especially if the wire is hard to get out of the gun. Get a new liner with no issues and give it a try again.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Have you set the tensioner properly? It could be too tight, especially with Flux Core wire.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

First and most important idea is to not use a compromised liner, period. You'll just end up chasing your own tail, as you have seen. Start with the liner again. This time, don't install it unless it is absolutely pristine. Your currently liner is already installed so you will most likely not be able to return it, so chalk it up as a loss.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Yea, I knew that was going to happen. But, as I put it in a few days ago, I totally forgot about it.

Everything with the mig, is I get something and it is broken or the wrong thing and it takes even more time to fix it. haha

Oh well, thank you for the information. I will just try again.

Also, I set the tension to 4 or 5. It's like, the wire will go through the hose but never get to the tip. I watch in the Suitcase and it starts to come out of the thing.

It seems as if a new liner is what I need. Which, sucks because not one place around me has them in. Everything has to be ordered.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Probably liner is the biggest issue - but flux core is less forgiving than regular hard wire - it should be run with serrated drive rolls with as little tension as practical to ensure reliable feed without crushing out of shape - also if you don't have flux core specific tips I would use the next size bigger than the wire as it is mostly out of round and has marks from the drive rolls making it grab on what you think is the correct tip size - our tips are all metric so I don't know what the next size is available to you - hope you get it sorted - this kind of thing gets frustrating.