mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm welding a mild steel gate from 16ga. The pickets have a small cast iron finial on them.

What's the best way to weld these little guys? I've done it with flux-core and it seems to work but it's a bit of a bear because the two materials don't seem to want to go together.

So is there a technology for fusing mild steel to cast iron?

Jon
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

309 or 312 wire. Nickel rod (if you're stick welding) or Silicon Bronze for MIG/TIG. Any and all work.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The best and strongest solution is to use some of this:
https://ezweldtigwire.com/

I've used it a few times now and it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

cj - Great, thanks a lot. I'm MIG welding so I'll get ahold of some of that silicon bronze wire. Dumb question: would this be "braze welding"? Honestly, I always thought that silicon bronze was more for brazing applications. But if you can get it on a spool and feed it through a Lincoln MIG machine, sounds good to me.

I checked into that EZ Weld TIG Wire btw (Coldman). Sounds awesome! If I was TIG welding this fence of mine, I'd use it!

Thanks again.

Jon
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, technically it’s brazing. But it’s plenty strong enough for your described application. Use much lower heat than MIG wire.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

It looks good but expensive!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737