mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

The other day i started to do some reading as to mig welders and have owned a Millermatic 212 Autoset for several years but was just not happy with it not being able to visually see voltage and wire speed on the front panel. As most might know this machine has an “Autoset” feature and you can run it in manual as well with material thickness settings and wire feed settings just being an insignia or mark on the front panel but not numerical readouts.
I know this might be really splitting hairs but i dont like adjustments with marks i want actual values on a meter or screen for speed/voltage. I ended up buying the new Lincoln Powermig 260 as a replacement for the Millermatic just for this reason. I have had both brands of machines in the past and like both companies equally. I also own a Everlast Powertig 250EX and find it to be a really good machine as well. Hopefully i will like the Lincoln when i pick it up in a couple of days.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

With all due respect, relying on numbers won't insure good welds. Eyes, ears and experience tell the tale far better than actual numbers. There are "general rules" as a guide for amps/IPM/voltage, but every machine will weld slightly differently based upon numerous factors. And only experience will help you determine the correct ratios for any given material, condition and position.

Next time, save your money on a machine, and buy more practice material. Proper practice yields better results than the best machine purchase ever will ;)