mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rjanw01
    Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Got a cheap flux box just to start to start with.
Practicing as time allows with everything else in life.
Here are some so called welds on 3/16 flat and 1/8 angle. First 2 passes are on back side of angle, last pass done as lap joint. Any thoughts?

Jobsmart 125 on max, wire feed 5, .030 wire (setting of 6 on door but welds looked even worse, stringy even as the wire would push away even with slower travel speed)
20190925_184058.jpg
20190925_184058.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
20190925_184058.jpg
20190925_184058.jpg
Attachments
20190925_184027.jpg
20190925_184027.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Amps are too low. While the machine may be rated to run 0.030 wire, it’s common that low end Flux Core 120v boxes don’t run it well. Drop to 0.023 wire and you might fare better.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote:Amps are too low. While the machine may be rated to run 0.030 wire, it’s common that low end Flux Core 120v boxes don’t run it well. Drop to 0.023 wire and you might fare better.
It's a gas-less flux core machine, so he can't weld with 023 solid wire.

OP, forget about welding anything 3/16" thick unless it's cherry-hot already. Realistically, that is a 80A machine, so you're limited to 1/8" at the max, and that's if you have a very stiff power supply (steady 125V at the outlet on a dedicated outlet/breaker). You'll need to stick to 12ga or thinner to have reasonable success. Perhaps in the hands of a pro could 3/16" be done, but it's likely to be 5% duty cycle (30 seconds max) on a solid 125VAC/30A dedicated line.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

rjanw01 wrote:Got a cheap flux box just to start to start with.
Practicing as time allows with everything else in life.
Here are some so called welds on 3/16 flat and 1/8 angle. First 2 passes are on back side of angle, last pass done as lap joint. Any thoughts?

Jobsmart 125 on max, wire feed 5, .030 wire (setting of 6 on door but welds looked even worse, stringy even as the wire would push away even with slower travel speed)
to cold, not enough amps and that machine does not have enough adjust-ability to handle really thin material.

IMHO these machines are the worse thing to learn with.
throw it in the bin and get something decent. i'm not saying to go get a top industrial machine, just anything that isn't complete junk. fluxcore welders are always junk.

i would start with a cheap stick welder.
they are reasonable cheap, get a good machine for the money. simple to operate and stick welding forces you to learn the basics of welding. plus they are always handy for outdoor jobs etc so they don't go to waste even if you get a decent mig later on. for me i find it quicker and easier to get the stick welder out for a small job than to setup the mig. migs are complicated to setup and dial in, but once dialed in they are fantastic if your doing a lot of welding.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737

Oscar wrote:
cj737 wrote:Amps are too low. While the machine may be rated to run 0.030 wire, it’s common that low end Flux Core 120v boxes don’t run it well. Drop to 0.023 wire and you might fare better.
It's a gas-less flux core machine, so he can't weld with 023 solid wire.
Pardon me, 0.024. That 0.001 will make all the difference, huh?
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Pardon me, 0.024. That 0.001 will make all the difference, huh?
Its not the size that Oscar was taking issue with. Its the fact that nobody makes flux cored wires in a size below 0.030 inches. There is no such thing an an 0.023, 0.024 or 0.025 self shielded flux core wire. Given that the box is only set up for flux core and not gas, he can't run 0.024 solid wire.
Multimatic 255
cj737

I stand corrected.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Don't want to cause a stir but recently I did find 0.6mm ( .024" ) flux core wire - never bought any or tried it but I have seen it - usually over here it's always been 0.9mm ( .035" ) for the cheapo gasless welders but this place kept 0.6 / 0.8 / 0.9 & 1mm.

noddybrian wrote:Don't want to cause a stir but recently I did find 0.6mm ( .024" ) flux core wire - never bought any or tried it but I have seen it - usually over here it's always been 0.9mm ( .035" ) for the cheapo gasless welders but this place kept 0.6 / 0.8 / 0.9 & 1mm.
Link? I never seen such a beast, and my Google kung-fu is strong! :)
rjanw01

Well, thanks for the advice. I eventually want to step up but need the funds to do so (damn life getting in the way lol). I was looking at the everlast mp welders for the future. Guess a craigslist lincoln tombstone is the way to go for now, most I see are DC only at the $100-$150 range. Should I hold out and get the ac/dc version? I can wire anything in to my garage sub panel so let me know what you all think is best for a budget friendly machine (stick or mig).
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ Oscar - sorry can't provide a link - it was in my local Lidl store a while back - ( not sure you guys have Lidl across the pond but it's much like Aldi ) they do special offers every Thursday & Sunday - sometimes it's tools & on that occasion they had the dreaded 130 amp flux core welder with 4 voltage taps & the wire in 4 sizes ( only in the little 1 lb spools) plus an auto dark hood for the princely sum of £22 ! not sure it was 1.1.1.1 optic quality ! on a side note Aldi just did a portaband saw for £150 & that included a stand that it bolts to that makes it into a conventional horizontal style saw much like the base of a 14" chop saw - I picked one up for a site job I'm doing for cutting unistrutt - it's actually pretty good.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

rjanw01 wrote:Well, thanks for the advice. I eventually want to step up but need the funds to do so (damn life getting in the way lol). I was looking at the everlast mp welders for the future. Guess a craigslist lincoln tombstone is the way to go for now, most I see are DC only at the $100-$150 range. Should I hold out and get the ac/dc version? I can wire anything in to my garage sub panel so let me know what you all think is best for a budget friendly machine (stick or mig).
i would have thought it would be AC only machines being the cheapest.
they are certainly still usable. heavy, not portable and need a big power connection. can only use AC rods.
a DC machine would be better.

if budget allows, i always recommend an inverter stick welder to beginners. small, light, portable and more efficient on the power. something you can take over to a mates house and use, or use in the garden. plus put it on the shelf for those odd jobs when you upgrade to a tig/mig or whatever takes your fancy.
tweak it until it breaks
rjanw01

i would have thought it would be AC only machines being the cheapest.
they are certainly still usable. heavy, not portable and need a big power connection. can only use AC rods.
a DC machine would be better.

if budget allows, i always recommend an inverter stick welder to beginners. small, light, portable and more efficient on the power. something you can take over to a mates house and use, or use in the garden. plus put it on the shelf for those odd jobs when you upgrade to a tig/mig or whatever takes your fancy.[/quote]

My mistake, AC only.

I upped my range to $500, and have found a millermatic auto set 140 and 180 version. So going off what you all suggest are underpowered, the both of the 140 would still be underpowered for anything above 1/8" (3mm). Max I am looking at is 3/16" (4.5mm) and that will be very rarely, just happens that the one frame I have to repurpose to a welding cart is 1/4" (6mm).

As I said I am just starting out, so in my searches I also found a mts welder (mig,tig,stick) for $625, dual voltage, just not a name brand. Chuckle if you want but it is a HF titanium. I can wait an extra week or 2 and pick that up, hell, even return it if it doesnt lay beads and get my cash back.

noddybrian wrote:@ Oscar - sorry can't provide a link - it was in my local Lidl store a while back - ( not sure you guys have Lidl across the pond but it's much like Aldi ) they do special offers every Thursday & Sunday - sometimes it's tools & on that occasion they had the dreaded 130 amp flux core welder with 4 voltage taps & the wire in 4 sizes ( only in the little 1 lb spools) plus an auto dark hood for the princely sum of £22 ! not sure it was 1.1.1.1 optic quality ! on a side note Aldi just did a portaband saw for £150 & that included a stand that it bolts to that makes it into a conventional horizontal style saw much like the base of a 14" chop saw - I picked one up for a site job I'm doing for cutting unistrutt - it's actually pretty good.
I forget that you're not in the US since your info doesn't show your location. :)

Over here, it is non-existent as a mass-produced product available on shelves.