mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

I’ve always called this issue burn back, miller seems to call it something else. Basically my wire is hunting and pecking in the puddle. It will hit and burn back halfway to the contact tip and hit again.  I can control it fine if i turn autoset off and manually adjust the wire feed speed. 

My question is if this is common on Miller Autoset? Do people have feed issues with the wire not staying an even distance from the puddle and burning back? 

My drive roller is not slipping. It’s been ran everywhere from loose to nearly crushing just to be sure that is not my issue. It feeds perfectly and is currently set to where it barely slips under high tension (right before it would birds nest). 

Is this how Autoset normally behaves?
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
One1
  • One1

1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

One1 wrote:I’ve always called this issue burn back, miller seems to call it something else. Basically my wire is hunting and pecking in the puddle. It will hit and burn back halfway to the contact tip and hit again.  I can control it fine if i turn autoset off and manually adjust the wire feed speed. 

My question is if this is common on Miller Autoset? Do people have feed issues with the wire not staying an even distance from the puddle and burning back? 

My drive roller is not slipping. It’s been ran everywhere from loose to nearly crushing just to be sure that is not my issue. It feeds perfectly and is currently set to where it barely slips under high tension (right before it would birds nest). 

Is this how Autoset normally behaves?
looks like your machine does have flux core settings. are you using the grippy rollers?
i don't see an inductance setting.
it could be moisture in the wire or simply its not programmed for that wire.
fluxcore wires can be finicky and need the perfect settings to run well.
i would just use manual settings.
tweak it until it breaks
One1
  • One1

682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I have the same welder... Mine will do that if I have the spool tension a little too tight. I back it off just a fuzz and it solves the problem.

Never had an issue with Autoset... mine works good.

-Bear