mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
HVYMTL
    Sat May 09, 2020 11:10 pm

This is my first post, I've recently decided that I'm tired of paying for fab and welding on odd jobs. welding has always been exciting to me; the smell and sound just screams productivity and creation. Until recently I've shielded my eyes from the arc. I took the plunge and bought a hobart 210 mvp, 80cuft tank, helmet etc.

This isn't my first bead, but probably only my 3rd or 4th session, how does this fillet weld T joint look? granted the other side isnt as nice...
IMG_20200510_213515556.jpg
IMG_20200510_213515556.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
should i be concerned for the lack of heat marking on the bottom?
IMG_20200510_213515556.jpg
IMG_20200510_213515556.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Thanks all, really stoked to get better at this and start working on more than scrap.
Attachments
IMG_20200510_213635054.jpg
IMG_20200510_213635054.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looks decent, just don't "Instagram" the pic (effects).
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Not too bad, but it looks to me like maybe you were progressing too quickly and at an inconsistent speed. Slow down a bit and try to work on consistency. You might try something like Jody's cursive "e" pattern (or something similar) as it helps you get a tempo and work on timing, speed and consistency.
Multimatic 255
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Looks ok to me also. ;)

Do you do any cleanup on it? Or is that how it came off the wire?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The top side is a bit cold, not terrible but a bit off. Mig is a fickle mistress, looks ok but can easily be cold. I think a cut and etch would reveal my suspicion.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
HVYMTL

Oscar wrote:Looks decent, just don't "Instagram" the pic (effects).
Im not sure I know what you mean, I took it with my phone and uploaded it straight in.

I don't even have an Instagram...
HVYMTL

Louie1961 wrote:Not too bad, but it looks to me like maybe you were progressing too quickly and at an inconsistent speed. Slow down a bit and try to work on consistency. You might try something like Jody's cursive "e" pattern (or something similar) as it helps you get a tempo and work on timing, speed and consistency.
consistency is definitely my weak point right now. some of my welds get fat and skinny again, sometimes i wind up with a bead riding up on the vertical plate or down onto the horizontal. Practice is what i need i suppose.
HVYMTL

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Looks ok to me also. ;)

Do you do any cleanup on it? Or is that how it came off the wire?
I took a paint removal wheel to it to remove the milscale and silicates off the top of the bead, was wondering if maybe i was missing some porosity. probably should have cleaned off the milscale before i started.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

HVYMTL wrote:
Oscar wrote:Looks decent, just don't "Instagram" the pic (effects).
Im not sure I know what you mean, I took it with my phone and uploaded it straight in.

I don't even have an Instagram...
my bad, it looked like it had one of those filters that accentuates the object. My apologies! :D
JalopyBldr
    Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:40 am

looks OK, but like most things, looks are only skin (surface) deep. You should cut through the weld non the test piece , smooth the cut edge and put some acid on it to check for penetration, which is the most important thing.