mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
fquint
    Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I am a complete noob when it comes to welding. I have an Oxy/Ace set up and have been teaching myself how to weld.

The misses asked me what I want for Christmas and the first thing that comes to mind is a mig welder.

Since I'm just lern'n this stuff I figured I'd turn to folks who know what the heck they are doing for a little purchasing advise.

Amazon is pushing Clarke welders for what appear to be very reasonable pricing. For example the Clarke 180EN 220V Mig/ Fluxcore Gas/No Gas Welder KIT for $450.00

I don't have any mig welding experience but I want something I can learn on and grow into. Just wondering if this is a good buy or am I throwing my money away.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I've never used a Clarke welder before, so I can't say anything about its quality, but I'd assume that the top end is 180 amps, so the price seems fairly reasonable for that.

The biggest challenge you might have with buying a machine online is the availability of consumables like tips. Since you are just starting to learn mig, you are probably going to go through quite a few tips. Check with a local welding supply house and see how easy it is to get replacement parts. You don't want to be in the middle of a job, run out of something and have to wait 3 or 4 days for the UPS guy!

Hope that helps!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Clarke has changed hands, and I would be afraid to buy one. Look at Longevity, Everlast, Hobart and Lincoln.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

Heres some info.

http://www.mig-welders-tig-welder.com/m ... elders.htm

Hope it helps
Mick
fquint
    Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with a Lincoln 185.
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm sort of new to welding, as well. I bought a SP 140 T. I really like it. I just got the bottle for it about a week ago. I don't have a 220v outlet, but, I'm welding 1/2" thick steel, no problem. Good luck with your new welder. I know you will have fun.
pscampsr
    Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

I bought a Clarke 190EN about a year ago for $300 new, before I found out they had gone bankrupt. I have taught myself to weld fluxcore with it. It is a good welder but the drive and gun are a little cheap. You can find consumables for it, but things like guns are harder to locate.

I decided that if I really wanted to learn welding I should invest in a quality welder with some flexibility. I decided on a Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i. What a difference!
PSCampSr

America will be free until the electorate discovers that it can feed at the public trough.