mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
desmo
    Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:54 am

Hi,

Just want to say Hi to everyone in the forum, I'm a hobby welder and I'm here to get schooled. lol I tried looking up how MIG is capable of welding Aluminum and I can't find a detailed explanation. I know how to MIG weld, but I don't really understand how the process/theory works either, my guess is MIG makes a short to establish an arc between the work and the electrode that is hot enough to melt the electrode :? . From the little knowledge I know about metals, Aluminum needs AC to remove/clean the oxides that melt at a much higher temperature than Al in order to get a clean weld. Seeing that most MIG is done with DC, I don't understand how it gets cleaned (aside from brush and chemical) and what not. I'm aware of the equipment needed for MIG welding Al but not very familiar with the theory. If someone could please explain the theory, I would greatly appreciate it. Please correct me if I stated anything that is incorrect and if you can recommend any good books to read, please do so.

Thanks
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

MIG welding aluminum uses Electrode Positive which causes the cleaning action that you desire. (DCEP)
With TIG the AC is cycling back and forth between DCEP and DCEN.
The DCEP side does the cleaning action. Too much DCEP and your tungsten tip gets balled up and melted.

With MIG, the constant DCEP causes the aluminum spool wire to ball up and melt. (Spray transfer)

Here are a few more resources on MIG welding aluminum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxGeyJvQsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MiGrL9350
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ar ... les10.html
desmo

Thanks for the links and the info. Can you please explain how the DCEP and DCEN work? I'm a bit confused, I though DCEN did the penetration. I guess the heat input from DCEP is enough to penetrate the work correctly in MIG? sorry if these questions are dumb. Thanks for the help

Its all about oxidation...
Aluminum has a very thin coat of oxidation on its surface which melts at a higher temperature than the aluminum below it.

When I weld with oxygen and acetylene, I have to use aluminum flux and push thru this hard oxidized surface layer at the precise moment that I see a skin effect in the weld zone. This is when the aluminum is melting below the surface of the harder oxidized layer.

With MIG welding, we don't use flux for aluminum (we use Argon). This is because a flux cored aluminum filler material would be far too soft to push thru a MIG gun and it would bird nest all over the place and make life miserable.

We use DCEP (Direct Current Electrode Positive) to help break up this hard aluminum oxide surface layer. The electrons are jumping from the work piece towards the filler metal. (while at the same time breaking up the oxide layer.) The filler metal gets melted and sprayed back towards the work piece. The weld puddle is surrounded by an Argon shielding gas to prevent further oxidation until the weld has time to slightly cool down and solidify.

With TIG, we have the option of AC or DC welding. We choose AC (Alternating Current) because it allows us to have some extra balance control circuitry to adjust how long the cycle stays in either DCEP or DCEN modes. DCEN is fantastic for getting the heat to the work piece. While DCEP provides just enough time to help break up that hard aluminum oxide surface layer and get down to the business of welding something together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-daLs9Q7ac

So, to answer your question, DCEN does have better penetration, but we need that DCEP to bust up that hard aluminum oxide surface layer that melts at a much higher temperature than the aluminum below it. Its like trying to weld two chocolate bars together with the foil still on. You gotta get thru the foil before you can fuse the chocolate together. When you try to penetrate the foil with just straight heat, you make a mess of the chocolate bar before you ever melt thru the foil.
desmo wrote:Thanks for the links and the info. Can you please explain how the DCEP and DCEN work? I'm a bit confused, I though DCEN did the penetration. I guess the heat input from DCEP is enough to penetrate the work correctly in MIG? sorry if these questions are dumb. Thanks for the help
Last edited by WerkSpace on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Werks i love the chocolate and foil explanation . Cool stuff. Ps Hows your vertigo going. (quick thread hijack)

Mick
desmo

Thanks you so much for your explanation, everything made sense. I hate knowing how to do something but not knowing the theory or purpose behind what you are doing. Its like doing an oil change in a car, its easy to do, but most don't know why is has to be done. I hope that made sense lol. Thanks again.

One more question. On both MIG and TIG in a Al butt joint. The weld should penetrate the work and form a "bead"(not sure of the name of the technical term) on the opposite side of where the weld is being performed to indicate that there was proper penetration?

Mick,

the Vertigo is persistent. That's why I've so much spare time lately.
It's been 3 months since I've been to work. Starting to go crazy...
They are calling it Vestibular Neuritis (a middle ear infection)
most probably brought on by the flu bug that was going around.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Werks i love the chocolate and foil explanation . Cool stuff. Ps Hows your vertigo going. (quick thread hijack)

Mick

If you understand Japanese, I will call it 'Uranami'
but in North America, we call it the 'Root Pass'.
desmo wrote:Thanks you so much for your explanation, everything made sense. I hate knowing how to do something but not knowing the theory or purpose behind what you are doing. Its like doing an oil change in a car, its easy to do, but most don't know why is has to be done. I hope that made sense lol. Thanks again.

One more question. On both MIG and TIG in a Al butt joint. The weld should penetrate the work and form a "bead"(not sure of the name of the technical term) on the opposite side of where the weld is being performed to indicate that there was proper penetration?
Attachments
Uranami.jpg
Uranami.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Hope it clears up soon. Or maybe Jody needs another helper on WT&t. Because you laid down some really handy information on this thread.

Mick
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

The best explanation yet, , , thanks -corn-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
desmo

Thanks again