mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
MojaveCliff
    Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Have 46 inches of bead to install between two 3/16 thick A38 steel plates 90 degrees apart. Would like to do a single bead but I'm concerned about warpage. New to welding and, looking for some insight.

The last project I posted about here was regarding the roll bar in my jeep. Photos of that are posted at pirate4x4 in the section on non hardcore jeep Tj.

This 'long bead' project is for the same jeep- making a set of rocker panel covers called rock sliders. I have a side piece to weld to a bottom piece. 46 inches of joint as I said.

Many thx to those here who helped with my roll bar - with your insights it turned out great.

OK I got 'er done. Used the good advice offered here and went with a inner and outer stitch weld. Had an eye opener practicing on 14 ga steel sheet. Set the machine to weld three sixteenth thick steel. After about 4 inches the 14 ga, the sheet over heated and burned through. Switching to three sixteenth steel was a pleasure. Using all Jody's Welding Tip and Tricks -stick out - practice the bead - good ground - clean surfaces - etc. It all came together. The side and bottom parts warped a bit to my surprise- the warp forms an arch, low at the center of the joint, high at the ends at about 45 degrees to the joint. Haven't welded anything in about two months. My only unsightly spots are where I welded over the three tacks. Here are a few snaps.

Last edited by MojaveCliff on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Any weld will create some movement / warpage - if you weld it then clamping the parts to a large mass of steel will help reduce this along with stitch welding ( I have various off cuts of 3" solid square for this sort of job ) - sometimes although it's nice to make the part entirely yourself the best method for appearance is probably to go find a fab shop with a brake press & give the guy a few $ to bend the 90 degree in from a single piece.
All the best with the project.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Strength-wise, a rock-slider does not require that continuous bead. It may be preferred for apearance.

You will be better off to stitch it, from a distortion standpoint, then fill between the stitches. If you try to weld it in one go, you'd better have a lot of solid tacks 1" every 6", even if they're shallow enough to bury.

Strength-wise, a 3" on 12" stitch (or 2 on 8) staggered each side will be more than adequate structurally.

Steve S