mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
woodguyrob
    Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Total newbie welder here...I have cast Iron skillet/ grill that cracked and I used my flux core welder to repair it as best I could(given the fact that it is difficult to weld cast iron). It actually came out ok after grinding. I had to weld the cooking surface as well as the bottom.

Is it a concern to eat off of a surface that has an exposed weld? I'm thinking it is ok but wanted to run it by those in the know.

Thanks-
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rob,

I can't think of anything in the weld deposit once it solidified that would be any more hazardous than the cast iron. Might be a little less non-stick than it used to be, but nothing a few pounds of bacon can't remedy.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
woodguyrob

HI len,

You're probably right, who the heck really knows what that cast iron really has in it anyway. It's a yard sale find made & made who knows where.
I'm interested to see if the weld holds at grilling temps.
Rob
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

woodguyrob wrote:HI len,

You're probably right, who the heck really knows what that cast iron really has in it anyway. It's a yard sale find made & made who knows where.
I'm interested to see if the weld holds at grilling temps.
Rob
If you wanted it to hold at grilling temps you should have welded it at grilling temps.
Exhaust manifolds are done the same way.
woodguyrob

Ahhh... Heat at maximum expansion (maximum grilling temp) and weld at that temp. Makes sense. I pre heated the skillet with a blow torch but probably not to grilling temps.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Fire that thing up and let us know - could work just fine :D

Worst case is you have to pre-heat and weld it again.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
woodguyrob

Well I fired up the skillet this morning and there are 3 small holes that I need to clean up and re weld. I'll prep it, get her nice and hot then run a few beads over the problems areas.

All in all not bad considering the initial crack was almost 3/4 of the way across the skillet and went straight through.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I know this is about a month old now, but you hopefully cut a grove into that crack. Many people get all hung up about welding a cast iron skillet, about pre/post heat etc... What they neglect is the more important factor of weld "prep" instead.

Also, many don't realize that cast iron can be welded both "hot" and "cold" welding methods.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.