mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
96-780
    Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am

is it possible to convert an old Hobart spool gun (it came off a beta mig 250) on to my millermatic 175. I know they hook up differently but im not scared of sacrificing my mig whip or hardwireing anything. I don't realy understand how the spoolgun is powered, it just has a rubber hose and a 4 pin plug with 3 small wires, the wires just don't seem like they would carry the power that a 250 would produce. does anyone think it can be done or are these two systems worlds apart ? I can buy the proper s/g for about 300 on e-bay but this one is free and it has a lovely 20 + feet of lead on it. what do you think ? :?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Might call miller tech supp, and ask if that model of gun is compatible.... :?: :?:
Hope this helps,
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. I think it should be two wires for the trigger that make the gun hot and provide gas flow and one current wire. I'm sure the gas hose could be plumbed in under the hood with a tee or a valve.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
96-780

it's sopposed to storm big time on wed. maby i'll get the courage to see if I can get the gun to fire. whats the worst that can happen ? :idea:
96-780

http://www.usaweld.com/Spool-Gun-for-HT ... olguns.htm
this is the same s/g that I have if it makes any difference
96-780

before I start cutting and slashing, can someone tell me if any power is carried up the gas line on this spoolgun, it only feels like rubber but I cant be sure. also the wires on the plug are white, black, and green. anybody know what clour is for what ? thanks