mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm getting ready to take a 6GR certification test for a job & I'm having trouble with my root pass. I know it's not really common to use flux core for your root pass because it's so difficult, but if anyone has any experience with taking a 6GR test I would really appreciate if you would give me some hints on how to go about this test, thanks in advance...
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I have only fooled around with a restricted test so I don't know how much help I can offer. Another member will come along to offer advise.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The only time I took a 6GR with dual-shield, I busted out.

It was 8" pipe, sch. 80 to sch. 120, with the restriction plate 1/2" from the bevel on the sch. 120 side. Very few were passing.

I suppose it's not so different from a 7018 root, but I'd have had better odds on 7018 as I hadn't done FC in 15 years...

Steve S
coldman
  • coldman

I don't do fluxcore but I do remember discussion about it in college. The story was fc was not designed to do root passes because of worm hole effect caused by the hollow wire. Here in oz we actually have a certification for fc and our teachers remember one guy actually passed but they don't know how he did it. I spoke with a welding inspector about it. He said he raised the issue with Lincoln when he was in the USA on a course and they thought he was nuts for trying. Go figure.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Coming up, I'll be doing exactly that at school.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Rlewis
    Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:52 am

Six GR flux core test , how to run the root pass, I consider myself a skillful welder and I failed the 6gr pass with Keiwit in Texas, I've been working on bops welding on 4130 steel for the last 8-9 years and I got laid off and I go to apply and they needed a 6gr flux core welder and I failed it for lack of penitration, I had never welding any root pass with a flux core. Always stick or gas tungsten. So can someone link me to a video to help me learn to do this better?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Keiwit, Ingleside TX is the very same place I busted out the test I mentioned...

I don't regret it. The one drydock yard I did work at, I drug up in two weeks because I hated it.

Steve S