mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Amos59
    Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:51 pm

found a used HH175 at a good price, never used a wire welder before and stick welder very little. So i guess what I need to know is what it will and will not do. Stainless, alum. etc. And what are the ups and downs of the HH175. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Pleased to meet you, too! I see we share many interests... :roll:

Thankfully, your profile confirmed that "HH175" was, in fact, an abbreviation for the Hobart Handler, so guessing is unneeded.

It's a pretty common machine, and someone may volunteer some information in light of your warm introduction.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic. The point is, this is not facebook. This is a neighborhood of friends, and you'll get a much bigger response if you say, "hello," before you say, "answer my questions.")

Steve S
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

sounds a lot like facebook to me. Some people are just after information or just helping someone else by inputting their own info, not looking for a second family or new friends. Sorry to be rude, but not everything needs to be socialized, the answer to a question is the same regardless of you knowing what color sheets someone sleeps on, and what they do in their spare time!!
VincenzioVonHook

Amos59 wrote:found a used HH175 at a good price, never used a wire welder before and stick welder very little. So i guess what I need to know is what it will and will not do. Stainless, alum. etc. And what are the ups and downs of the HH175. Thanks in advance for any help.
It will weld steel, stainless and aluminium. Im not sure if it has a spool attachment as i know nothing of the machine, but they are not needed if the gun lead is relatively short and you down over-tighten the feed roller tension. Fed is not as smooth as with a spool gun, but it can be done. The welder should be fine welding around 1/4" steel in a single pass (8-10mm if you prep the edges with a bevel and slight gap.) and more if you want to run multiple passes.

Can run mild steel with either 75/25 argon/co2 gas, or straight co2. (keep in mind straight co2 will penetrate a litle more, but isn't as clean), stainless steel with a mix of 98.5% argon, 1.5% oxygen, and aluminium with straight argon.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

VincenzioVonHook wrote:sounds a lot like facebook to me. Some people are just after information or just helping someone else by inputting their own info, not looking for a second family or new friends. Sorry to be rude, but not everything needs to be socialized, the answer to a question is the same regardless of you knowing what color sheets someone sleeps on, and what they do in their spare time!!
If we are starting to sound a lot like Facebook then it's time to let you know that your opinion wasn't asked for. Just like most people on Facebook, you keep inserting yourself in conversations just to hear yourself speak. You offer advise on subjects you know little of and give opinions on how the rest of us should go about helping people other than yourself. Seems to me that you're the one making the forum sound a lot like Facebook.

Please don't apologize for being rude when you don't know how to be anything else, your ill mannered comments show that you lack a proper upbringing. And yes, if you're wondering, that was a slam on your parents, they should have beat you more when you were young, maybe you would have learned to only speak when spoken to. They should have also taught you to only offer advise on things you actually have knowledge of.

By the way if this was Facebook we would have un-friended you about 70 posts ago.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
VincenzioVonHook

Braehill wrote:
VincenzioVonHook wrote:sounds a lot like facebook to me. Some people are just after information or just helping someone else by inputting their own info, not looking for a second family or new friends. Sorry to be rude, but not everything needs to be socialized, the answer to a question is the same regardless of you knowing what color sheets someone sleeps on, and what they do in their spare time!!
If we are starting to sound a lot like Facebook then it's time to let you know that your opinion wasn't asked for. Just like most people on Facebook, you keep inserting yourself in conversations just to hear yourself speak. You offer advise on subjects you know little of and give opinions on how the rest of us should go about helping people other than yourself. Seems to me that you're the one making the forum sound a lot like Facebook.

Please don't apologize for being rude when you don't know how to be anything else, your ill mannered comments show that you lack a proper upbringing. And yes, if you're wondering, that was a slam on your parents, they should have beat you more when you were young, maybe you would have learned to only speak when spoken to. They should have also taught you to only offer advise on things you actually have knowledge of.

By the way if this was Facebook we would have un-friended you about 70 posts ago.

Len
Don't think it was that big of a deal. He asked a simple question. Who or what he does has no bearing on the hh175......it will do fine regarding light fabrication of mild and stainless steel, and aluminium if you dare, whether he introduced himself or not.

Cement, teaspoon, you know the rest. Obviously i struck a chord if a simple opinion on introductions means i should have been abused as a child.

We've invested a great deal of time and effort to create a neighborhood here.

When some ass pulls up in front of my house and yells at me to ask for directions, I do, in fact, tell him where to go.

I have no intention of seeing this neighborhood change because some other ass doesn't like me telling the first ass where to go.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I was actually suggesting that you WERE abused as a child. Raising children without instilling proper social skills is a far worse punishment than getting your ass beat for talking when you should be listening. With the ass beating only you get punished for bad behavior, the other, we all get punished for their lack of parenting.

There is something lacking in digital communication that's ever present in face to face conversation, it's the risk of being punched in the face for interjecting your unsolicited voice in a conversation.
Otto Nobedder wrote:We've invested a great deal of time and effort to create a neighborhood here.

When some ass pulls up in front of my house and yells at me to ask for directions, I do, in fact, tell him where to go.

I have no intention of seeing this neighborhood change because some other ass doesn't like me telling the first ass where to go.

Steve S
I never understood why someone moves to a new neighborhood and tries to turn it into their old neighborhood.

It's apparent that he doesn't get the full value of what we do here and what it is that brings people here instead of other forums. His loss.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
VincenzioVonHook

If you are suggesting a simple opinion on an introductions warrants a punch in the face, and belittling of someone's upbringing, i think you might be the one with some form of social disability.......

I had someone tell me at work yesterday that parkway drive is for faggots, and video games are shit (the exact opposite of my opinion) and my response was ......"and this effects me how?". According to your social persona that person should have been swiftly punched in the face and bagged out about his upbringing at first echo of an opinion difference? Of course not, as you said, its only on the internet where people turn into keyboard warriors the second they hear something they don't like......
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I don't know man, he's been told on multiple occasions that he raised a pair of upstanding gentleman, and I have people comment all the time on my maturity level and manners, and I was disciplined as a child when I was in the wrong (he's my father.) I'm also not afraid to admit that I am wrong, and choose consciously not to open my mouth when I know nothing of the subject because "It's better to be thought an idiot, than open your mouth and prove it."

I don't necessarily agree with the way that he's handled this, but you've rubbed multiple people wrong already in your limited time here. Your flippant response about more info on the Motorcycle Stand topic is a prime example. We don't want to respond lightly to anything, because as Steve said, you can get hurt if you don't build it properly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
VincenzioVonHook

Im pretty sure I just have an iron skin, and don't take things to heart....bigger things to worry about to be honest. I normally just laugh these things off. Someone told me that holding doors for people means your a push over and a soft cock the other day. That's his opinion, and I believe different, and it makes me feel good. I just find it easier to laugh it off as a difference in opinion and move on.

Whether someone likes my opinion on introductions being mandatory before people will take them seriously, is their opinion. He don't have to like it. He might be the most upstanding gentleman for all i know, and frankly i don't know anything about him, so there's no point in me being offended, or making judgement's about his upbringing or family. Most people here use an alias anyway, and if they wanted to could introduce themselves as anyone they want to, truthful or not, so im not really phased who they introduce themselves as......

It was a simple statement. Sometimes these people are just looking for information, or to provide an educated response, they aren't here to make friends or extended family, and might not have know that it was a pre requisite for this forum.

Fair enough.

It's perfectly fine when people can agree to disagree. It keeps the peace in the world.

I do think it was a little "over the top" to challenge one's upbringing, but it's out there and can't simply be unsaid, so, "onward and upward".

And, as Jefferson said on the topic of differing religious beliefs, "...It neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket."

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Anyone know if the welder is any good? Pretty much the only Hobart we have in Australia is a city . Some very old machines but the new ones are rare or mind existent.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Aren't the Hobart's the same as the Millers?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:14 pm

I have a HH 175, and have been using it as my only MIG welder for maybe 10 years. It works well, and I have used it on everything from auto body sheet metal, to multi pass 1/2" thick hot rolled steel, with no problem.
I did try unsuccessfully to weld aluminum with it. I even replaced the liner with a Teflon liner, but it would constantly birds-nest. Unfortunately, the 175 HH is not spool gun ready, as the newer model HH's are.
Also, the 175 has only 4 voltage taps, where the newer models have more voltage control. I've yet to try a newer machine, so having 4 taps hasn't been a problem. I just fine tune it with wire speed and travel speed.
If you think you might want to weld aluminum, I would get one of the newer Handlers that is SpoolGun ready. Otherwise I think it's a fine machine.
Old Airco AC/DC TIG with water cooled torch "The Orange Beast"
Hobart Handler 175 MIG
OA cutting and welding torch
Ready Welder 2 SpoolGun (Battery Powered Welder)