mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

My school has a Millermatic 211, the model before the current 211, and my teacher has assigned me to set up a spoolmatic 100. I set it up with .030" wire and it feeds well until I actually start welding. When I pull the trigger and start the arc the wire just almost stops and is similar to a very slow pulse mig, except with little arcing. I have the ground properly done and argon gas, but it doesn't want to lay out a bead. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there a certain angle or method to a spoolgun?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

What gas are you using? Voltage and wire speed? Thickness of material? Position?
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Start with your wire speed maxed out, This stops you melting into the tip. Then adjust your wire speed so the aluminum is not stubbing into the joint. Hold about 5/8 inch standoff. Aluminum used a bigger standoff than steel. Wire should vaporize before it hits the puddle, but you want to be able to see the solid wire for at least a 1/4 inch from the tip while welding.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Straight Argon and whatever settings were on the panel for 1/8" aluminum.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Straight Argon and whatever settings were on the panel for 1/8" aluminum.
I would say what southpaw said... Max out the wire speed and dial it back from there.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
Backsheddave
    Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

If the above advise doesn't work, check the gun tip size. if you are using .030 wire you want to use a .035 tip because as the aluminium wire heats up, it expands in size. This could then slow your wire feed speed.