What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

It's something I have to weld quite often. I have a pretty good method, especially when there is a likelihood of salt inclusion. I essentially tin the contaminated metal and groove it as I go. This also helps with minimizing shrinkage and warpage as well. There's also a strategy involved that uses countermeasures for these issues. 250 syncrowave, 225 amps, manual on/off, reverse travel. Argon at about 15 cfh. 1/8" pure tungsten, 1/4" exposure.

This is a weird and somewhat rare bracket for an enclosed outboard motor. They forgot to tilt the motor up and a speed bump did the rest.

Beveled only through half the face thickness. This keeps the parts from shrinking initially through the tack up stage. I typically trace the item onto my table for a reference throughout.

Then it's just a matter of drilling and welding a couple or a few inches at a time. The half thickness of base metal that was left helps to keep it original shape. Yes, it will shrink, but in many cases the metal had expanded somewhat before it broke. The trick is to shrink that out, using it against itself, if that makes any sense. You get a feel for it if you have welded a bunch of it. Yes, the holes drilled seemingly randomly and without care serve a purpose. Remember, I am welding full on 225 amps with an on/off switch. The way the holes are drilled is a crude, yet effective means of heat control. The welds don't mind it a bit.

Full penetration to the back side. When I have an open casting like this, I like to just get flush or even slightly less penetration just at the back side surface. Again, minimal shrinkage. I then like to groove the root with a die grinder and fuse a slightly built up zipper to it for additional strength. The reinforcement webbing on the back also helped with shrinkage, These can be welded after the original shape is secure. This photo showed that it did hold it's shape, without sacrificing penetration. Nothing worse than hearing that *TINK* after you have it closed up.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
TamJeff

It also helps sometimes to close things in towards the center like this dogleg weld on the edge. Watching what the gap does as you weld, sometimes even even drilling past the crack to move or close a joint in on itself.

There was a bit of questionable fatigue on the one large hole so I welded the crack, ground it flush and then capped it with a piece of annealed 11 gauge.

It ended up fitting like it grew there. We painted it back to factory color at some point.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice work!

I enjoy welding Al, and don't do it nearly enough at my current job. When I do, it's usually the pressure-building coil you see underneath an argon or nitrogen trailer, exposed to all kinds of abuse, sand, rocks, "road kill", road salt, and other de-icing chemicals.

It's essentially been sand-blasted with impurities. Always a challenge to get a leak-tight repair that will withstand cold-shock.

Give me new, clean aluminum to weld, and I'll have a slight smile all day. :)

Steve S
TamJeff

Otto Nobedder wrote:Nice work!

I enjoy welding Al, and don't do it nearly enough at my current job. When I do, it's usually the pressure-building coil you see underneath an argon or nitrogen trailer, exposed to all kinds of abuse, sand, rocks, "road kill", road salt, and other de-icing chemicals.

It's essentially been sand-blasted with impurities. Always a challenge to get a leak-tight repair that will withstand cold-shock.

Give me new, clean aluminum to weld, and I'll have a slight smile all day. :)

Steve S
What's funny is, I excelled at stick in welding school. Everyone was going for TIG. The TIG booths were always crowded so I would practice and practice my open root 6010/7018. That was fine by me. I love stick welding. When school was done, almost everyone ended up at the mines or the ship yards welding stick and flux core. I walked right into an aluminum TIG position. Cast, I could do without, but it is a small price to pay for all the fun stuff I get to build. I do have to weld a lot of contaminated things at times. As you are probably aware. . .it builds character. . .with swear words attached. :)

Thank you for the compliment.