What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If no one has said it yet, Welcome!

You've likely noticed a wide variety of skill levels in various trades here.

It's a nice place to ask a question, or answer one, without anybody "flaming" a post.

Best welding forum on the net, if a bit slow.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Well thank you. I have been the only weldor in our shop for over 5 years now so I never get to talk to other weldors anymore. Before I knew it, years went by. It seems as if nobody is getting into the industrial arts anymore. Kids come into the shop looking for a job with no shoelaces and their pants at half mast. Then they want to take a weld test and ask to borrow my helmet? I am hoping to get back in touch with professionals (young or old) with that old school ethic and trade passion. I've been a single parent of two sons(now grown) for the last 15 years. Both can TIG pretty well. The eldest son is an ace at fabrication math, or math in general really, and the youngest is a natural with the torch.

It never occurred to me to look for a welding forum. I came across this website looking up information on the Dynasty we have. We have had it for 6-7 years and I have never bothered to stop to figure it out. Once I saw this host's videos, it sparked my welding interest again, even though I do it every day. I ended up buying a TIG finger from him as well. I was using parts of my worn out stick gloves to make my own of sorts up until then.

Nice to meet you too, Otto. I have a ton of pictures of projects and information to share as well if anyone is interested at some point, or with relevance to other members discussions.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

I note you differentiate "Weldor" from "welder".

I assume, then a U.K. origin? Or at least a country that speaks the Queen's English, as opposed to American English?

British Colombia, maybe, since your equipment is common in North America?
TamJeff

I have no idea where I got that from. I mean, we are also fabricators, so it is probably just some weird mental block on my part. I am from Tampa. Been here most of my life.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Welcome here, we look forward to your input. It'll be nice to have someone for otto to play with, Im like in kindergarten compared to you guys, although ive been welding for around 15 years.

Mick
TamJeff

Thank you, Mike.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

If you're intersted in comunicating with professionals about welding, you've found the right place. I(and others here) could go on for ever about welding. You could say its my passion as well as my trade.

Mick
TamJeff

That's why I'm here. It's my trade as well, but I have always been a metal guy. Picked up my first torch at age 6, but didn't make it official until I was in my early 20's when I went to trade school. I had always been good at hand work, figured welding would be no different until 6010 nearly made a retard out of me in short order. Took me 2 weeks to pass my first tee joint. Not because it was so horrible for a beginner, but "I" thought it should look better.

Kind of funny now, looking back. I am the first and only student my weld instructor ever gave a job reference for at the place I work now and for the last 14 years and I had been out of welding school for nearly that long by then.

I welded the 6010 root pass on my first pipe, took it to him and he broke out his danged little mirror on a stick and magnifying glass and I was just waiting to get flunked to hell (he was a retired union iron worker and NOT politically correct by any stretch!) and back, and he says, "You don't need to be here." I thought oh crap, he thinks I should flunk out of school! He then says, "You need to be out working somewhere getting paid for this." I still didn't hear it right. That hard ass'd, old cracker, never had a kind word or compliment for anyone. But man, when it finally hit me, I was so relieved, and yet afraid to tell anyone for fear he might take it back!

I don't know why more youngsters don't get into the trades or trade school more specifically. That's where the real men (and ladies!) are, and again, that's why I am here. It's the only place where you can get a genuine handshake and an air of mutual, earned respect outside of the military, perhaps, and is one of the last skilled trades that is not, nor will ever be taken over by the illegals, at least not at the professional level.
TamJeff

I lifted this quote from the other thread so I don't drift it.
Otto Nobedder wrote:Yes, my parents were depression-era.

Dad did his first hitch in the Navy in '33.

Both experienced the depression and WWII, so I grew up knowing how to work a garden, and can the results.

I'm sure this shaped me, and I'm sure it shaped them in their willingness to buy the "science" toys I preferred over GI Joe.

Steve S
We have quite a bit in common. Actually, I know of a couple welders that make their homestead pay for itself in other ways with producing food. I garden as well. I am known for somehow growing cold climate heirloom tomatoes in zone 9.

Here is one of my favorites. The Brandywine.

Amana Orange.

We are some tomato sandwich eating mo fros around here. Can't even hardly deal with store bought after being spoiled by these. Last year, I grew over 300 lbs of them and sold/gave away quite a few. Also, Florida grown pineapples, pole beans, lettuces, bell peppers, sweet potatoes and greens.
TamJeff

Also built this wood boat for my sons and I. We are fishing fools. They wouldn't have traded video games for fishing with the "Old man".

Here, in SE LA, many of the groceries carry locally grown produce when in season.

I don't have room for much of a garden, and at most grow a few tomatoes, but during the seasons, local Creole tomatoes and Ponchtoula strawberries are available everywhere, as are Tsatsumas, a mild flovored wild orange. Everything you can imagine growing in this climate is available locally, so I don't miss the garden space so much.

That's a nice looking boat. The worst day fishing beats the best day studying, so I'm guessing it was a real hit with the kids.

Steve S