What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

This was something I did about 6 years ago when Detroit hosted the Super Bowl and Jimmy Kimmel did his show from The Gem Theatre in downtown Detroit. It's a stage proscenium cover built from 2 x 2 x 1/8 aluminum square tube and prefinished melamine sheets. The whole structure was roughly 30 feet across, 15 feet high and about 3 feet deep. I'm guessing on these numbers, it was a while ago! It was welded together in 4 sections, 2 leg pieces on the bottom sides and 2 top pieces that stretch across the top of the stage. Everything was bolted together on the floor and lifted up into position in one piece and it actually fit the very first time! It also had built in lighting that you might be able to see, it's sort of a white glow from the sides.

This is a video that shows it. There is a good front end shot of it at about 28 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-SwmU0ZWA

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That's pretty cool. What did they do with it after?
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

We took it down, took out all the lighting and electrics, broke out all of the melamine (the wood panels) and sold the frames to a display compant. I don't know what they did with it, it's probably sitting in some warehouse.

It was nice to get back all of the lighting fixtures, they were all instant start High Output flourescent fixtures which cost quite a bit back then. I replaced some of our old, crappy, 50 year old fixtures that still used starters and part of the shop was a lot brighter thanks to Jimmy Kimmel!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I was just talking to our owner today about lighting. Ours sucks. I was looking online last night at t8 and t5 fixtures so I could just have one for over my table. They still aren't cheap. I have a 2ft 4 bulb t5 HO fixture that is pretty bright> I will try it out Monday maybe. I also have some larger screw in bulbs that use 42 actual (I think they are 150w equals) watts in the 5000 color range that may work grouped into a fixture. You just gave me an idea for some of the scrap aluminum at work. A good welding project idea at least.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.