What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello Everybody,

My name is Drew and I am a machinist/welder for the USAF. I used to be an IT director for a medical billing company and decided I didn't like what I was doing so I moved on and followed my passion of building and crafting things by hand. I am still pretty new to this world but I am learning so much every day from my peers and my research. My passion lies in welding and I love everything about it. I noticed that there isn't a very good welding tips app available besides miller welds. Now this gives us a basic setup for welding, but I was thinking of designing an app with more in depth details such as what parent metal and filler is recommended for certain applications. I used to design software programs for the company I worked for and have a strong background in database management as well. I am looking to get your recommendations on whether this is a good idea / bad idea / would take way too long to develop / other ideas, comments, questions, concerns.

Thanks!
Don't tell everyone how good you are
Show them
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The good news is that most of that information is readily available across the internet, or pasted to the interior of a person's machine. But, a clean, handy interface to confirm that type of data could be handy for many.

Some ideas:
-Amp/voltage/WFS settings for MIG based upon material, thickness, wire size and gas
- Stick welding parameters for rod and material
- Aluminum filler for differing materials
- TIG filler for different materials

The list could be endless. Most professional welders that work from a WPS wouldn't use it, but others certainly could/might. Jody and his son, Joey had a WTT app for a while that recorded your individual parameters like an electronic notebook. Might give that a look-see.

cj737 wrote:The good news is that most of that information is readily available across the internet,
True, but having the info in one place would be great, granted there is a LOT of information out there but it could be added in over time.
Richard
Website
    Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:19 pm

LtBadd wrote: True, but having the info in one place would be great, granted there is a LOT of information out there but it could be added in over time.
I agree with both of you guys, there is so much info out there readily available, but it takes time to search and sift through info to find what you need. Especially for the home hobbyist or student learning on his own, I know from personal experience, there is so much info to take in it can be confusing when starting out. I think it would be plausible to have both in the app (IE the ability to look up info as well as storing your own for future use, as well as the ability to provide feedback to add, remove or make changes to the info provided). I have come across uncommon metals already that took a lot of time to research because there isn't a whole lot of info on them, especially for heat treatment and welding such as 17-7 PH steel. I think this app would definitely be a collaborative project that many of you pros out there could easily chime in on and add a lot of valuable information
Don't tell everyone how good you are
Show them
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote:
cj737 wrote:The good news is that most of that information is readily available across the internet,
True, but having the info in one place would be great, granted there is a LOT of information out there but it could be added in over time.
My point was that he could have a ready access to compile his data ;)

cj737 wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
My point was that he could have a ready access to compile his data ;)
I agree CJ
However there are many apps that contain info "already out there" some of the sites are lessor known and may contain that one bit of info someone needs, still a well done app that you could also add URL's too would be nice IMHO
Richard
Website
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Search pocket welder helper I downloaded it and use it once in awhile it's about half cheesey but has it's uses drill tap chart mig Tig stick settings pipe angle filler metals alot of little things but I have yet to find an all in one app
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
    Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 am

Mike Westbrook wrote:Search pocket welder helper I downloaded it and use it once in awhile it's about half cheesey but has it's uses drill tap chart mig Tig stick settings pipe angle filler metals alot of little things but I have yet to find an all in one app
Also have pocket welder helper but most of the times only using Hobarts amperage chart for welder settings.
“You have to love what you do, to give your best.”