What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
West Baden Iron
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 am

Here is a project I thought I would do just to test my tig welding abilities. I realize this probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to see how I would perform in a makeshift 3G test.

The perimeters are: (2) 1/4" plates 3" wide by 12" long. They were gapped at 1/4" with a 22.5 degree bevel (or so) with a 1/4" backing strip. I wanted 3/8" plates for the test but 1/4" was all I had at the time so I just went with it.

I welded in the 3G position without repositioning after tacking the backing plate on. I believe I did't put strong enough tacks because the plates bowed quite a bit. As you can see, my weave on the cap isn't real consistent. However, I didn't see any voids or inclusions after cutting the test pieces.

I only took one pic before I cut it. I realize I should have taken more to show all the steps but I forgot.

I'm not 100% sure what all of this means, but I thought I would post it anyway. I only have the one test piece bent so far (root). I'll bend to other test piece later. To me, the bend looks pretty good, but I'm basing this on pics of tears and voids I've seen on the internet. Like I said, this may be so far from how it actually is performed that this means absolutely nothing.

I just got the Harbor Freight compact bender and I'm trying to figure out how to use it.

Thanks,

Jason
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG (115.11 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG (81.16 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG (80.62 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig/Stick Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Looks pretty good from here. Anyone who understands welding will tell you that a weld doesnt have to be pretty to be strong. Call them Gorilla welds. Ugly but strong. Yours isnt all that ugly though. And the bend shows that its all good.

Mick
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

West Baden Iron.

Another way of understanding welding is 'making' weld defects. To alter one welding variable at a time, and see what you find on the bend. For example, at a predetermined location on your weldment, alter the amps and run excessively cold, with the attempt to create lack of fusion. Another example, at another pre-marked location, alter only the gas rate, to attempt porosity. Etc. etc.. See if the bend test reveals any differences.

Alexa
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A plate test with TIG is going to warp some. The thickness doesn't matter. Even if you strongback the hell out of it, you'll get some warping.

TIG on plate isn't a common test, but your methods were sound, and the results speak for themselves. Typically, the inspector will cut four samples from a coupon, and do two each root and face bends. In some applications they'll cut 6 samples and do two side-bends.

These are typical bends for all processes and positions, including pipe.

Let us know how your face-bend comes out.

Steve S