What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Very nice.

Can I assume those inch+ wide shiney spots on the gunwhales are from washing in the cuts where the previous owner took out the fore seat? (In the pic where the new rect. tube is stiched to the hull and tacked to the gunwhales?)

Steve S
Goat Driver
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Very nice.

Can I assume those inch+ wide shiney spots on the gunwhales are from washing in the cuts where the previous owner took out the fore seat? (In the pic where the new rect. tube is stiched to the hull and tacked to the gunwhales?)

Steve S
You are correct. The previous owners son cut the seats out with a saw-z-all and left the pcs that he couldn't get attached to the hull, sharp edges and all.
We removed the pcs. that were welded to the gunwales and smoothed out the old welds.
Thanks! :)

HAHAHA! I didn't realize, until your reply, I was adding an "h" in "gunwales".

I COULD blame the beer, but I think I'll blame Animal Planet being on in the background...

Buick'n?
Driving the porcelain bus?
Calling "Europe" on the big white phone?
Shouting at your shoes?
Practicing the Bohemian alpabet?
Tasting a rainbow?
Praying to Plumbus, god of the flush?

Stirring the porridge?

Hope you feel better soon....

And hoping my last post made you smile...
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Nice work. Have refurb'd a few jon boats in my day. Fished out of them for many years. Have a friend who had a 16' double wide with a 60hp tiller motor on it. He kept breaking rivets and welds loose so we doubled up the gunwales and put larger gussets on the stern. I have certainly welded up enough pits in the bottoms where they sat on carpeted bunks being used in saltwater,
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

carpet yawn
Goat Driver

foamballer wrote:carpet yawn
SPAM
TamJeff

Goat Driver wrote:
foamballer wrote:carpet yawn
SPAM
Twits like that really underline the importance of young men needing physical labor by way of a 'real' job. Must really suck to exist in such a parasitic realm of existential mediocrity.

To new parents, that roughly translates to. . . ."fire the lawn guy." Junior needs more chores.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ohhh,

I knew there was a reason I didnt enter in the spewing conversation. The boat looks like its going well. Nice to be able to revive and renew something isnt it.

Mick

HEY!

"Carpet Yawn" wasn't spam, people,

It was a euphemism for "puking", like all the ones I posted.

"I took a carpet yawn" = "I threw up"

Let's not get jumpy...
Goat Driver

Otto Nobedder wrote:HEY!

"Carpet Yawn" wasn't spam, people,

It was a euphemism for "puking", like all the ones I posted.

"I took a carpet yawn" = "I threw up"

Let's not get jumpy...
What TamJeff said still holds true.....
TamJeff wrote:Twits like that really underline the importance of young men needing physical labor by way of a 'real' job. Must really suck to exist in such a parasitic realm of existential mediocrity.

And profanity is the linguistic crutch of an inarticulate motherf#%er.

Goat Driver,

This forum is a rare one. Nobody is rude. Nobody rips into someone else's question. We will keep it that way.

Frankly, I doubt Tamjeff has read this yet...
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Who'd of thought there would be a board of puke euphamisms? Certainly not me!

One year we were working on a Metallica tour and made some stage covers for them. The cover wrapped around the front of their stage and hid all the support mechanisms that they had under the stage. It also served a dual purpose, it was made out of a very heavy type of fibrous plastic that was impervious to any type of bodily fluid. At the end of the show, all they had to do was hose it down and all the blood, puke and whatever else got on it that night simply washed right off, ready for the next nights show looking brand new!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
TamJeff

Well, my apologies to the poster. I thought it was a known spammer or something.

Carry on. :)

No worries, Jeff,

Just someone chiming in late on my list of phrases for "throwing up", trying to make Goat Driver smile. Guy came in two posts late, when the subject was "old". Sad that Goat Driver misunderstood and was the first to yell, "SPAM".

I hope we didnt' scare him off with silliness...

Steve S
Goat Driver

What do you think if someone you have never seen walks up into a group of people having a conversation and says two words and nothing else? They would get some strange looks and be questioned, even be whooped in some places.
Nobody here knows 'foamballer' and his first post is just those two words, he does not even have the internet savvy to put something like "it has been called" or something similar in front of his two word post.
First post should be a little more than 2 words especially in the sense in which foamballer posted.
Then a mod has to come along and use such profanity to try and make his point, that sure shows some leadership qualities.
Profanity does not extend your vocabulary. It does let everyone know that you do not have any moral restraint of your tongue or vocabulary and that you do not even care enough about yourself or others that hear you to stop using it.

My apologies to foamballer.....next time introduce yourself or something beforehand
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I think this post has become reduced into something no one wanted it to be. Goat, you are right, it is weird if someone does that. I find its always best to become a part of any conversation before just blurting something out. As for Otto, (now there is no favourtism here, just one poster on another) it was merely a quote and if he thought anyone would be offended by it wouldnt have made it. Lets just get back the welding and move on eh? No blood, no foul.

Mick
Goat Driver

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

I think this post has become reduced into something no one wanted it to be. Goat, you are right, it is weird if someone does that. I find its always best to become a part of any conversation before just blurting something out. As for Otto, (now there is no favourtism here, just one poster on another) it was merely a quote and if he thought anyone would be offended by it wouldnt have made it. Lets just get back the welding and move on eh? No blood, no foul.

Mick
I'm good with that.
Just leave the profanity in the toilet. ;)
TamJeff

The reason I thought it was spam is because I had mentioned "carpeted" bunks on a trailer. Data miners seem to find such random key words and inject their solicitations accordingly and at random which is often the case of users with single random posts. "Foam baller". . .could be someone who makes carpet padding. Anyone who surfs the net, will have in recent times found a growing incidence of select popup ads on their facebook, youtube etc, based on keywords of recent searches or even things said in the most obscure formats. Currently, my youtube selections have a lot of Miller welding ads suddenly popping up. I merely mentioned "fiberglass" on another forum the other day in a reply to a post and suddenly I have fiberglass supply ads in the sidebar of my facebook.

At any rate. . .I do like jon boats a lot so I am watching this one. I had considered building an aluminum boat instead of the wood one I built.

Goat Driver wrote:What do you think if someone you have never seen walks up into a group of people having a conversation and says two words and nothing else? They would get some strange looks and be questioned, even be whooped in some places.
Nobody here knows 'foamballer' and his first post is just those two words, he does not even have the internet savvy to put something like "it has been called" or something similar in front of his two word post.
First post should be a little more than 2 words especially in the sense in which foamballer posted.
Then a mod has to come along and use such profanity to try and make his point, that sure shows some leadership qualities.
Profanity does not extend your vocabulary. It does let everyone know that you do not have any moral restraint of your tongue or vocabulary and that you do not even care enough about yourself or others that hear you to stop using it.

My apologies to foamballer.....next time introduce yourself or something beforehand
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the internet, and forums like this. Anyone can "walk in to" a conversation at any time. Their statement may appear completely out of context when it appears. I don't judge something as spam because it appears out of context... I have to look and analyze. I won't arbitrarily kick someone for a post, without having a look, or I defeat the design of this forum, and it's parent site (which uses salty language to make a point).

Steve S

TamJeff wrote:The reason I thought it was spam is because I had mentioned "carpeted" bunks on a trailer. Data miners seem to find such random key words and inject their solicitations accordingly and at random which is often the case of users with single random posts. "Foam baller". . .could be someone who makes carpet padding. Anyone who surfs the net, will have in recent times found a growing incidence of select popup ads on their facebook, youtube etc, based on keywords of recent searches or even things said in the most obscure formats. Currently, my youtube selections have a lot of Miller welding ads suddenly popping up. I merely mentioned "fiberglass" on another forum the other day in a reply to a post and suddenly I have fiberglass supply ads in the sidebar of my facebook.

At any rate. . .I do like jon boats a lot so I am watching this one. I had considered building an aluminum boat instead of the wood one I built.
On reflection, I see the logic.

It's unfortunate the gentleman "introduced" himself in a response to my tongue-in-cheek list.
Goat Driver

Otto Nobedder wrote: and it's parent site (which uses salty language to make a point).

Steve S

Still does not make it right......If others jump off a bridge, I guess some just jump off behind them, huh?.
Be a good moral example for the people around you, no matter what others say or do....Lord knows this
world needs somebody with some morals today. ;)

Words are symbols. They have no value beyond that which you place on them.

Why do you find some words offensive, while most are innocuous?

It's an artificial construct, based on the norms of the particular circumstance in which you were raised; Your perception of a word as "offensive" is based on what the people around you feel (or felt, if this bias began early).

It is entirely up to you to assign value and meaning to a word.

Steve S

Morality is action... the way one conducts oneself with other members of society. Not to be confused with "ethics", the priciples that should determine those actions.

An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife, while a moral man actually won't do it.

Language applies to morality only in how you use it. If I use language to harm you, as lieing at a deposition, that is immoral and unethical.

If I use language to make a point, where no one is harmed in any way, and you choose to feel offense at some word I've selected, that's on you and your judgement system. I refuse to censor my language to suit the whims of a small minority.

I suppose it's useless to point out that I have an extensive vocabulary, and rarely swear for any reason.

Steve S