What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Broc.houlbjerg
    Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:49 am

This is my second welding project, pretty happy with it for $30.... not including the vise of corse
Attachments
20210624_191956.jpg
20210624_191956.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Run by a scrap metal shop or retailer and grab a drop of stainless tube/pipe. Grind a really clean spot on your table leg then weld the stainless to it. Use the stainless as your ground clamp spot. With a rusty top, you’ll struggle to get great grounds constantly, but welding the stainless stub to it solves that somewhat. The stainless won’t rust and will provide you a nice clean spot regularly.

I got several pieces from a pal who is a rifle smith. When he cuts the barrel blanks at the chamber, a 2” piece of 1.5” 416 works a treat. Did the same to my vise stand leg so I can clamp to it (frame and base are powder coated afterwards) and weld in the vise as needed.
Broc.houlbjerg

I like that idea, and I could get some stainless from the fitters at work. That is currentlyoutside my skill set though. You probably need special wire and gas right?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Broc.houlbjerg wrote:I like that idea, and I could get some stainless from the fitters at work. That is currentlyoutside my skill set though. You probably need special wire and gas right?
just normal steel wire will be fine. its not a structural piece, it doesn't need to be a strong or corrosion resistant weld.
just make sure the weld is big and long, so it handles big currents with no resistance.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Broc.houlbjerg wrote:I like that idea, and I could get some stainless from the fitters at work. That is currentlyoutside my skill set though. You probably need special wire and gas right?
You'd be better off waiting until you upgrade from the Flux Core box to a MIG (per your other post). ;) But then, no special wire or gas, just ER70-S6 and 75/25 will be absolutely fine.
Broc.houlbjerg

I'm headed back from oxarc now with gas and wire be mig welding soon